Transmission Issues - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2015, 8:24 am Thread Starter
Noob

Transmission Issues

I have a late '06 K1200 GTSE that's just about to hit 50k miles and has suddenly started to have all sorts of things going wrong

First up the EWS warning randomly came on a few times but this seems to have somehow fixed itself.

Then the cruise control started to work intermittently, followed soon after by the dreaded brake warning light & then speedo failure. From what I've read all three of these are probably linked to a worn cable somewhere. I've tried to book the bike in to a BMW dealer but my local one said he was so swamped with recall work that he couldn't book it in for a few weeks.

It is my only form of daily transport and I'm a contract worker so I've continued to ride it for the last week since this all started.

Despite all this it's been running fine but I obviously have a fair bit of paranoia that it's all going to go horribly wrong and am a bit 'sensitive' to every operation on the bike at the moment.

In the last 2 days it feels to me like there's some sort slight juddering sensation whenever I'm running on zero throttle. It almost feels like something is 'rubbing' on the rear wheel but if I dip the clutch then the sensation goes away.

It seems to be accelerating fine and as long as the throttle is at least part open I can't hear/feel anything. However, as soon as I back off I can definitely feel something.

I'm really not very mechanically minded at all but this feels like something I need to be concerned about and it needs looking at ASAP?

If anyone has any ideas or guidance it would be much appreciated. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2015, 9:11 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moley
I have a late '06 K1200 GTSE that's just about to hit 50k miles and has suddenly started to have all sorts of things going wrong

First up the EWS warning randomly came on a few times but this seems to have somehow fixed itself.

Then the cruise control started to work intermittently, followed soon after by the dreaded brake warning light & then speedo failure. From what I've read all three of these are probably linked to a worn cable somewhere. I've tried to book the bike in to a BMW dealer but my local one said he was so swamped with recall work that he couldn't book it in for a few weeks.

It is my only form of daily transport and I'm a contract worker so I've continued to ride it for the last week since this all started.

Despite all this it's been running fine but I obviously have a fair bit of paranoia that it's all going to go horribly wrong and am a bit 'sensitive' to every operation on the bike at the moment.

In the last 2 days it feels to me like there's some sort slight juddering sensation whenever I'm running on zero throttle. It almost feels like something is 'rubbing' on the rear wheel but if I dip the clutch then the sensation goes away.

It seems to be accelerating fine and as long as the throttle is at least part open I can't hear/feel anything. However, as soon as I back off I can definitely feel something.

I'm really not very mechanically minded at all but this feels like something I need to be concerned about and it needs looking at ASAP?

If anyone has any ideas or guidance it would be much appreciated. . .
I think it is normal. I have had a similar juddering on my 2007 K1200GT since I owned the bike. I have had all the usual service bulletins - airbox replacement, updated firmware, etc. These bikes are a little "hesitant" when running at low RPMs. It was significantly improved with the K1300GTs, so I am told. The root cause may be a too lean fuel mixture, which was done for anti-pollution reasons.

Some people get improvement by adding aftermarket products that change the fuel/air mixture, such as the PowerCommander.

I installed a PowerFRK to try and smooth out parking lot throttle control, but it didn't help. The PowerFRK tricks the onboard computer into thinking that ambient air temperatures are lower than they really are, to make the fuel mixture a little more rich. I plan to remove it the next time I have a chance to take the fuel tank off.

Good luck!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2015, 10:18 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I think it is normal. I have had a similar juddering on my 2007 K1200GT since I owned the bike. I have had all the usual service bulletins - airbox replacement, updated firmware, etc. These bikes are a little "hesitant" when running at low RPMs. It was significantly improved with the K1300GTs, so I am told. The root cause may be a too lean fuel mixture, which was done for anti-pollution reasons.

Some people get improvement by adding aftermarket products that change the fuel/air mixture, such as the PowerCommander.

I installed a PowerFRK to try and smooth out parking lot throttle control, but it didn't help. The PowerFRK tricks the onboard computer into thinking that ambient air temperatures are lower than they really are, to make the fuel mixture a little more rich. I plan to remove it the next time I have a chance to take the fuel tank off.

Good luck!
It does feel like a lean running issue - I jsut felt it had got worse in the last week or so but it could just be paranoia!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode