Buying a 2007 K1200GT with High Milage - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 5:48 am Thread Starter
Noob

Buying a 2007 K1200GT with High Milage

Today, I am buying a 2007 K1200GT, but I'm a little weary still because It has high mileage, but it was a one owner. It has 90,000 miles, but many things have been replaced, including the rear drive and ABS system. Everything works, no issues, clear title, never been in an accident. It comes with many extras, including GS911, BMW battery tender, wilburs front shock, top case, etc. Its always been fully serviced and ready to ride.
Includes ESA, ASC, Xenon headlamp, heated seats, grips, electrically adjustable windshield, and cruise control. Tires: Metzeler Z8s with 1500 miles on them, virtually new.

My question is what would you value this at? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 9:33 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrjordan
Today, I am buying a 2007 K1200GT, but I'm a little weary still because It has high mileage, but it was a one owner. It has 90,000 miles, but many things have been replaced, including the rear drive and ABS system. Everything works, no issues, clear title, never been in an accident. It comes with many extras, including GS911, BMW battery tender, wilburs front shock, top case, etc. Its always been fully serviced and ready to ride.
Includes ESA, ASC, Xenon headlamp, heated seats, grips, electrically adjustable windshield, and cruise control. Tires: Metzeler Z8s with 1500 miles on them, virtually new.

My question is what would you value this at? Thank you!
The 2007 K1200GT in the photo has been in an accident, or at the very least, dropped. The side panels are from a 2009 or later K1300GT. (Perhaps the photo is a K1300GT that is not the one for sale.)

If it has a Wilburs front shock, then the ESA does not work. You must manually get off the bike and adjust the suspension.

Is this bike close to you? Can you take it to a dealer for inspection? Has the airbox been replaced? Brake pad wear indicators cut off (that's okay, but an indicator of seller honesty about maintenance) vs. genuine BMW brake pads? Firmware version? etc.

Can you get the VIN number and check when it was made? The 2006-built models of the 2007 K1200GTs had the older 2006-style seats. The 2007-built models of the 2007 K1200GTs had the newer 2007-2011 style seats. Most people hated the 2006-style seats.

If the seller has a GS-911, then they may have been doing their own maintenance. When was the last valve clearance check (which is very expensive at the dealer)? Who did it? How did they fill the radiator?

To be honest, this one smells fishy to me - especially the "no accident" claim with those side panels.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 9:44 am
Enthusiast

What he said...

I magnified the right hand controls and they do look like a 12gt. So the side panels at least have been changed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.

Last edited by moymurfs; Sep 22nd, 2015 at 9:55 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 10:00 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
The 2007 K1200GT in the photo has been in an accident, or at the very least, dropped. The side panels are from a 2009 or later K1300GT. (Perhaps the photo is a K1300GT that is not the one for sale.)

If it has a Wilburs front shock, then the ESA does not work. You must manually get off the bike and adjust the suspension.

Is this bike close to you? Can you take it to a dealer for inspection? Has the airbox been replaced? Brake pad wear indicators cut off (that's okay, but an indicator of seller honesty about maintenance) vs. genuine BMW brake pads? Firmware version? etc.

Can you get the VIN number and check when it was made? The 2006-built models of the 2007 K1200GTs had the older 2006-style seats. The 2007-built models of the 2007 K1200GTs had the newer 2007-2011 style seats. Most people hated the 2006-style seats.

If the seller has a GS-911, then they may have been doing their own maintenance. When was the last valve clearance check (which is very expensive at the dealer)? Who did it? How did they fill the radiator?

To be honest, this one smells fishy to me - especially the "no accident" claim with those side panels.

Thank you. He said he had a "Static drop" around 80,000 miles. He replaced the panels with 2009 panels, to allow better ventilation to the air box. The air box was replaced by the dealer.

I've seen the bike in person and taken it for a quick test drive. He lives in my city.

He has been doing his own maintenance for the most part, but has many receipts from work done. The valves were last checked at 80,000. It is a 2007 model, as the title VIN matches the bike. It was never recorded as in an accident.

As far as the seats, the VIN number on the bike is: WB10597077ZN46681
Does that mean it will have 2006 seats, or later?

I thought the wilburs shock would be an asset, am I wrong?

Is $4500 to much to pay for this bike? What scares me, is what is it really worth, if I needed to sell it next year (chance I am moving)

Should I just spend more and buy maybe a newer model/less miles?

Thanks for your comments. Appreciate the help/advice.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 1:06 pm
Addict

Nothing wrong with Wilbers, but like they said you won't have ESA.

As for the side panels...could be from the drop or because the owner liked the looks of the newer panels.

Price? Maybe offer him $4000.

When was the clutch done? Did he do it or the dealer?

Check the brake life indicator wires. I had mine disconnected simply because I was getting false readings.

Was there a cam chain tensioner recall on the '07s?

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 1:08 pm
Addict

Cyrjordon, this may simply come down to how badly you want this bike. IMHO $4500 for a 2007 KGT is more than reasonable if the updates and maintanace are verified as others have suggested in the previous posts.

I suggest that you take it on an extended test ride to make sure everything REALLY works and that it works for you. Pay particular attention to how the clutch feels and how it shifts. Make sure the clutch doesn't slip or grab. The stock seat is usually the first thing that gets upgraded. You'll either love it or hate it. Check the final drive yourself by putting the bike on the center stand then grab the tire at the top and bottom and check for any side to side movement. If you find play then chances are the rear drive is failing. Some KGTs had to have the final drive replaced more than once.

I hope it checks out ok and If you go ahead and pull the trigger please let us know!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 3:53 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrjordan
Thank you. He said he had a "Static drop" around 80,000 miles. He replaced the panels with 2009 panels, to allow better ventilation to the air box. The air box was replaced by the dealer.

I've seen the bike in person and taken it for a quick test drive. He lives in my city.

He has been doing his own maintenance for the most part, but has many receipts from work done. The valves were last checked at 80,000. It is a 2007 model, as the title VIN matches the bike. It was never recorded as in an accident.

As far as the seats, the VIN number on the bike is: WB10597077ZN46681
Does that mean it will have 2006 seats, or later?

I thought the wilburs shock would be an asset, am I wrong?

Is $4500 to much to pay for this bike? What scares me, is what is it really worth, if I needed to sell it next year (chance I am moving)

Should I just spend more and buy maybe a newer model/less miles?

Thanks for your comments. Appreciate the help/advice.
Valves are normally checked every 18,000 miles. The bike has 8,000 miles to go before the next check. The exact mileage is not critical, and it is rare for the valves to need adjustment (using shims, and even more work to do).

The VIN says that it was made on 8 December 2006. That puts it (barely) into the later seat category (2007-2011 seat type). Since you have access to the K1200GT, you can check. Unlock the seat (key in the back, just above the license plate). If the joint between the passenger and rider seats is one tongue in the middle, it is an early 2006-2007 seat. If the joint between the seats is two separate tongues not in the middle, then it is the later 2007-2011 seat.

Wilburs shocks may be an asset, it depends on who you ask. My answer would be: "Wilburs shocks are superior to the stock BMW ESA shocks in terms of suspension performance. I prefer the BMW shocks because I enjoy the ESA feature."

Regarding what price to pay for the K1200GT, I don't know, so I would defer to others. It is important for you to understand that it isn't the cost of the bike, it is the cost of ownership. If something breaks, BMW K1200GT parts are outrageously expensive, even if you do your own maintenance. People here will give you good advice on where to find cheaper and used alternatives, but they are still expensive. The reward is an exceptionally versatile and capable motorcycle.

Should you spend more and get a newer model? That depends on what you get and at what price. The K1300GTs have a lot of subtle improvements, especially in engine fueling, especially at low RPMs. Compatible parts may be easier to obtain for a little while, and they will have a slightly longer warranty on the problematic fuel strips (date of original purchase + 12 years).

Here are some helpful links that I used to prepare this response:

Checking a VIN:
http://www.bimmer.work

Seat types, scroll down the page until you see the photos with two seat bottoms:
http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Ac...200GT-K1300GT/

I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode