UK Press on the K1200GT

I think they liked it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...25/mfbmw25.xml

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:48 pm
Veteran

I would say so! And I heard that Kevin Ash has not been an historical great fan of BMW???

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2006, 1:21 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I think they liked it.
And THIS from a guy that normally has little good to say about anything with the "Weissblau" propeller logo!!!

Interesting is Ash's comments about the aging of BMW's traditional clientelle, and the eventual effect this will have on company sales. This is the same thing that happened to Cadillac, but in that case, it took Cadillac over 2 decades (and several abortive attempts such as the Cimarron and the Allente) to finally figure it out.

There are other parallels. In spite of many people who think the present lineup of slab sided Cadillacs are in-your-face butt-ugly, their sales are now way up. With respect to the new GT, there were no shortage of people on this forum (and others) who thought the new GT is ugly too, but sales of this bike will prove otherwise.

Looking at things now, it is clear to me that the GT is the bike BMW intended as their mainstream big seller, and the K1200S and K1200R were debuted first as more limited sales "tools" to get the engine and chassis "out there" for optimization before the "main act" was released.

This bike is going to be a winner like no other that BMW has produced in the past.

Bob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2006, 1:38 pm
Veteran

Your reference to Cadillac is an interesting one. Perhaps GM just sacrificed the Oldsmobile. Seriously tho', and how prophetic, I was just looking at some model Cadillac and some of perhaps the similarities between the somewhat slabby GT and the [opinion] overly sculpted Cadillacs. I would consider a Cadillac BTW as a next vehicle BTW. And talk about marketing, I don't know from shinola about the Northstar V8 other than "I heard it's a good engine."

That of course leaves the LT somewhere out there. Some could speculate that perhaps '08 BMW will put the new 4 in a better LT; maybe, maybe not, but BMW faces the same or similar dilemma that HD faces. And to the best of my knowledge, the V-Rod models are not doing it yet!

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2006, 2:07 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

It's interesting that you mention Cadillac. I am looking to replace my aging Navigator with something else. A friend recommended that I take a look at the new and improved Escalade. I walked into the dealership and the first thought (as the smell of the place took hold) was OLD FOLKS HOME!!! And the staff had no idea how to sell me anything. I thought I was in a time machine going back to the days at my grandfather's Cadillac/Olds/Buick/GMC dealership, with his sleazy sales guys dripping the hard automotive sell. Oh, and the Escalade is junk. It looks great on the outside and from the driver's seat, but everything else is like an afterthought. Hasn't GM heard of FOLD FLAT SEATING?!?!?!? Geez! Don't get me wrong, friggin' Lincoln is adding 15" to the Navigator, and that casket-like feeling you get from the driver's seat is a big turn off as well.

On a completely different note...

I went to the Dallas Auto Show last night and took a hard look at the new Mercedes GL450. That's a nice ride. And when packaged out right, it comes out as much (or LESS) than the Navigator or Escalade. The ML500 has caught my eye as well. After sitting in 15 or so trucks and SUVs, the GL450 is by far the best of class.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2006, 6:11 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

It looks like Kevin Ash is writing "the book" on BMW.

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=5371

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2006, 7:52 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
It looks like Kevin Ash is writing "the book" on BMW.

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=5371
This is even more bizarre! A book on the evolution of BMW, from a guy who never had much positive to say about the bikes themselves!

Bob.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2006, 8:50 pm
Addict

Quite a backhanded compliment if you ask me: "The bodywork is unique to the GT, looking rather slabby from some angles but sharp and aggressive from others, and if not beautiful it can stretch to handsome, or having a certain presence." He sounds afraid to say what he really thinks.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2006, 9:32 pm
Veteran

Talking

My wife has a pristine ML500; It was a Christmas present 4 years ago. She keeps it pristine and it only has about 40,000 mile. She threatens to keep it for a bit longer but she's a speed freak and she's heard about the rumored ML63 that will I am sure give the Porshe Cayenne, twin turbo a run for its money with its naturally aspirated 540 or so hp.

So, here we are in our outer years, me banging on the door of a GT, former owner of an S and she relishing the idea of beating youngsters at traffic lights with her ML63; handicapped sticker and all!

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2006, 11:17 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFWILSON
This is even more bizarre! A book on the evolution of BMW, from a guy who never had much positive to say about the bikes themselves!
How strange! I just looked at a book my wife bought for me a while back. It is called BMW Motorcycles, and is a pictorial history of key BMW motorcycles since its inception, together with a brief description of each bike in the historical context.

The shock was that I just looked at the author's name. It is none other than Keven Ash!

You don't suppose he is a closet BMW afficionado, do you?

Bob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode