BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Onboard Socket/Power question from newbie

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  XMagnaRider 
#1 ·
Just bought my first BMW. An 08 K1200GT. I’m already starting to fall in love with the bike. I have a question about the ‘onboard socket’. I’ve used the search forums and I’m still confused, so I apologize if this is a stupid question.
I’d like to add an additional power outlet. If you look at the attached picture I’m assuming those are knock out plates to the right of the onboard socket where I can add an additional power outlet. Is that correct? And, if so, can I just use one of those ‘Powerlet’ sockets (Powerlet PSO-001 Standard Socket) in place of the knock out? I assume I have to connect some wiring from the Powerlet socket to the battery. Am I even close? Sorry, I’m a newbie to all this.

Attachments

#2 ·
You are correct. The factory outlet (top left) is can-bus connected. The easiest way is just to purchase the ready made BMW wired socket that has an inline fuse and the terminals on the ends. It gets wired straight to the battery and is a super easy install. Powerlet probably has a similar model.
When you wire your second outlet straight to the battery you can use a traditional battery maintainer. The factory port needs the BMW charger that "tricks" the canbus into keeping that circuit open because it shuts down a few minutes after the ignition is turned off.

#3 ·
Somewhat off topic:

I have TecMate Optimate 6 and Optimate 4 chargers, which also trick the canbus and can charge through the factory port. I bought the TecMate 6 originally, figuring I could use it on the cars and the K1200GT. I ended up leaving it connected full time to one of the cars, so I bought the Optimate 4 and dedicated it to the K1200GT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.