Rear end - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2015, 7:24 am Thread Starter

Garage
Rear end

My K is booked back in at the end of the month, the handling's gone really horrible. Kind of top heavy and "nervous" at the same time, kind of like when the steering head bearings have gone. One particular fast downhill right hand sweeping bend that's on my commute to work was really scary at 90 mph the other day, this is a bend I regularly take at the same speed on my F800GS with no issues and that has Heidenau K60 Scout knobbly tyres fitted! So the K way out tyres its smaller sibling.

It's only recently (2000 miles ago) had a full 36000 mile service, plus other stuff like new front wheel bearings (warranty), new radiator, new main stand (again), new front ball joints, new rear wheel carrier (warranty), new left hand case body at the local dealers. It also had a new rear ESA fitted at 31000 miles (warranty).

Add to that I had new Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's fitted front and rear, and also fitted new front Brembo Oro disks and genuine BMW brake pads.

I have this feeling that the rear of the bike used to be taller, the dealership, via email, suspect that maybe the suspension relay arm (dog bone) bearings may have gone west causing the rear of the bike to drop and altering the steering geometry. This is kind of borne out to be honest as when there's new tyres it does feel a little better for a little while, I guess the new tyres add a little to the ride height, and compensate, until they start wearing.

Others have mentioned it's also possible that the ball joints, although replaced may have gone duff again.

Anyone have any experience of the suspension relay arm bearings and bushings failing? I did have the relay arm replaced at least once before on the worldwide recall (may have been twice, I've had so many things replaced it's hard to recall )

It's a one owner bike (me) and has been fully dealer service

--
Steve Parry

Oppressed since 1958

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '89 K1, '15 R1200RT LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2015, 9:56 am
Addict

There was a recall on the rear wheel flange. The OE was aluminum and prone to cracking. The recall replaces it with a steel flange.

I'm not sure if your bike is included in the recall, but my 06 was. You might want to check into it to be safe.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2015, 12:52 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
There was a recall on the rear wheel flange. The OE was aluminum and prone to cracking. The recall replaces it with a steel flange.

I'm not sure if your bike is included in the recall, but my 06 was. You might want to check into it to be safe.
Already had it Doug "new rear wheel carrier (warranty) "

--
Steve Parry

Oppressed since 1958

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '89 K1, '15 R1200RT LE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2015, 1:45 pm
Addict

Any way to put it up on the c-stand and wiggle that joint to see if there's any slop?

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2015, 1:14 am Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Any way to put it up on the c-stand and wiggle that joint to see if there's any slop?
Will do

--
Steve Parry

Oppressed since 1958

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2015, 6:46 am Thread Starter

Garage
CURED!!!!!

Well the K is back and riding and handling better than it has for at least two years if not longer!

Previously I'd noticed my feet where flat on the ground and was sure when I first had it I was on the balls of my feet when stopped. Looks like I wasn't imagining it as now it's taller and I'm back to being on the balls of my feet when stationary

It was collapsed bearings in the suspension relay arm to swing arm. So much for sealed for life

I've suggested to the dealers that they suggest to BMW that the bearings are added to the annual or bi annual service or at least customers are advised it's a recommended job and would they like it doing?

The REALLY troublesome bearing was the one that the triangle plates/relay arm etc connect to on the swinging arm. Took the tech quite some time to remove the seized bearing race. The actual dog bone ones weren't too bad but that third one was a mess.

Oh and it's easier to get on the main stand too.

--
Steve Parry

Oppressed since 1958

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode