Looking at K1300GTs - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2015, 7:10 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Looking at K1300GTs

Hi all,

I am looking at getting a K1300GT. I rode one last year and plan to ride another soon, as well as a Moto Guzzi Norge.

Any thoughts or things I should look out for on the K1300GT? You know the kind of "give it a poke here and if it does..." shopping tips. I will be looking for the lowest miles in blue or red.

Is there any difference between an '09 and '10?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2015, 8:33 pm
Noob

Have a dealer run the VIN to see if there are any open recalls...there have been lots on these models including switch gear, cam chain, fuel pump, rear wheel flange to mention a few. Also check for excessive rear wheel play...you don't want to deal with a worn crown bearing. '09 and '10 models are identical for all practical purposes.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2015, 8:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

dlong, thanks for the tips.

I rode them both today. The Norge was quirky and charming, but handled terribly.

The K1300GT has 45K miles. It made some odd noises and felt like there was throttle response problem or drive line slop. This specific K13 is not the bike for me. Holy cow the K13 stops one a dime and level. I will be looking at other K13.

It had the stock saddle. I wanted the saddle to more of a lip or rise at the back. Any thoughts on after market saddles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 11:32 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by subforry
dlong, thanks for the tips.

felt like there was throttle response problem or drive line slop

I'm afraid that poor throttle response/drive line slop (and bucking bronco syndrome) is often found in these bikes....

It is wonderful on constant throttle, high speed running, not so great around town.

My take: It's a racehorse, not a plow horse.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 12:43 pm
Rookie

Pure Gas solves

the main problem of the bikes smoothness. I took a trip where I used any fuel, then the next was PURE GAS or NO ETHANOL. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. The bike did not buck and took every corner in a smooth fashion. Add the app PURE GAS to your phone, computer and ride. This model is great once all of the recalls are completed.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2015, 5:57 pm
Addict-oholic

Having had my 2009 from the very beginning, very smooth, no bucking bronco as in the 1200GT. The only problem, I had was frequent stalling in hot weather as I downshifted. A software update at the dealer fixed this. I run a few ounces of techron in the gas tank every other fill up.No other major issues having done the required recalls.
too bad, this model was discontinued in favor of the 1600. The 1600 is 100 lbs heavier, tooo much for an older guy like me ( 78).
Go buy the bike.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 12:37 pm
Noob

Hello...new here....have a question not unlike the OP's post so I thought putting it here may be ok....I too am looking into getting a K1300gt....I'm currently riding a r1150gs with 92kmi on the clock....since I got it with 11k I did the final drive thing, rebuilt starter and suspension replacemtnt by 67k and now need to rebuild the transmission....all non-regular-maintenance expenses....I see these as design deficiencies (maybe I shouldn't?)
My question is should I expect the same kind of repairs with the K13? (assuming all dealer recall actions have been done) (recently read a Consumer Reports study showing BMW with a 40% failure rate...even higher than Harley....yikes!)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 10:16 pm
Rookie

I have had my 2009 K1300GT for 3.5 years. I bought it from a BMW dealer that took it in trade from someone that was trading in for a K1600. It had about 12,000 miles on it.

I test rode both a new K1600GTL and the K1300GT and liked the "lighter weight" of the 1300. Plus as a used bike it was significantly less expensive!!

I have had the stalling as you come to a stop problem. Running techron through it periodically seems to keep this under control.

At 22,000 miles I had the crown bearing fail in the final drive. Not having an extended warranty, it was a rather stiff repair bill to pickup on my own as BMW was not willing to pitch in to help with the repair cost. Since I believe that the final drive had been reasonably maintained, i do consider this to be a flaw.

A very big factor for me is my fit on a motorcycle. I'm 6'7 280 lbs so finding something the fits well can be a challenge.

I also love the performance of the inline 4 cylinder engine. The K1300GT offers impressive performance for such a large and comfortable motorcycle.

Yes, the cutting edge technologies and design/engineering does seem to be a bit less reliable than we wish they would be.

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
1986 Harley Davidson FXRT - Sold
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo - Sold
1982 Yamaha XT 200 - Traded in
1980 Yamaha IT 125 - Traded in
1975 Honda XR 75 - Traded in
Honda Z50 - Traded in
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2016, 9:13 pm
Addict-oholic

Smile

Eric, The stalling issue is kept under control by the use of Techron every other tankful.
I like the nimbleness of this bike. I test rode the 1600, nd it maybe smooth and light while riding, the extra weight at no speed makes it a 'bear' for me. Horsing it around my garage to fit, would be too tough for a 78 yr old like me.

Even my 42 yr son who rides his Harley regularly has taken to riding my bike more often for it's easy handling.
Great bike, not having any other major issues.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2016, 8:49 am

I went to go buy a K13 to move up from my K12. Really wanted a K13 for a long time. Unfortunately, the 13's I test rode just weren't for me. Each one didn't seem like a good bike, had wear and performance issues that worried me. Loved riding it though. Just couldn't justify buying something I didn't feel confident in.
Rode a K16 by chance and took it home. At 0 speed yes it is a beast. While riding it is very nimble though; especially without the side bags on. I'm 30 years younger than larry so there is a big difference there. I can easily see the 16 being too much once I get older.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode