Reverse Gear Lever - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2015, 2:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Smile Reverse Gear Lever

Good evening all, I thought I might ask the collective wisdom of your forum to see if you might be able to answer a question that I have.
I'm somewhat disabled, a condition called "drop foot", it means that I struggle to lift my left foot and therefore gear changes can be a little difficult, I have an old Ducati 916 and I've overcome this problem by fitting a race gear change, this reverses gear selection meaning that first is up and the remainder are selected by going down through the box. It makes my life a great deal easier...
To my problem, I've recently bought a K1300GT and search as I might, I'm unable to find a suitable product that would achieve the same result, 1 up and 5 down.
Over to you my learned friends, can anybody find me a fix?
On another note, what a fantastic site, I look forward to many future visits.
John.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2015, 6:00 pm
Enthusiast

You need to check into the Harley crowd. They have peddles/levers that make the "up" gears engage by tapping their heels downward on a lever. Our (Police) guys had them when they had Harleys. It prevented their boots from the toe scuffing. You might see if BMW offers something for the authority RT.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2015, 8:47 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
You need to check into the Harley crowd. They have peddles/levers that make the "up" gears engage by tapping their heels downward on a lever. Our (Police) guys had them when they had Harleys. It prevented their boots from the toe scuffing. You might see if BMW offers something for the authority RT.
What moymurfs refers to is called a toe/heel shifter. It would be challenging to set one up on a K1300GT because of the way the shift linkage works. You would need something that pivots on the left footpeg, with the heel part behind the footpeg.

I suppose it is possible for someone to design and weld something together that attaches to the footpeg mount (and provides its own mount for the footpeg (like the footpeg lowering kits), with some type of ring or rotating bearing, a heel shifter pad, and a loop that goes around the inside of the shift lever peg to lift it up and down. The whole contraption needs to have very little friction, so the spring return on the shift lever can push it back to center position.

I am not aware of anyone doing a toe/heel shifter on a KGT, nor installing a race gear change on one either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode