Stiff shifting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2016, 10:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Exclamation Stiff shifting

Hi all. Just got my k1200gt today. I had Gs before and it is completely different bike. The only problem i noticed is the gears are sometimes very stiff to change. I had to apply force from the bottom of the gear shifter to change it from 2nd to 3rd. For some reason it doesn't get to gear as it should. It also did from 4th to 5th as well. Shifting down is not a problem at all. It is only when shifting the gears up. I have applied the good old WD40 on the gear lever and the components. Hoping that it is not a big problem. Any ideas why??

Many thanks

Many Thanks

Last edited by lncmgl; Jan 17th, 2016 at 1:39 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2016, 1:38 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lncmgl
Hi all. Just my k1200gt today. I had Gs before and it is conpletely different bike. The only problem i noticed is the gears are sometimes very stiff to change. I had to apply force from the bottom of the gear shifter to chnge it from 2nd to 3rd. For sone reason it doesnt get to gear as it should. It also did from 4th to 5th as well. Shifting down is not a problem at all. It is only when shifting the gears up. I have applied the old good WD40 on the gear lever and the components. Hoping that it is not a big problem. Any ideas why??

Many thanks
I assume you mean that you are having to exert what you think is a LOT of upward pressure to shift 2-3 and 4-5. (Not 3-4?)

Probably not a WD40 on the linkage issue.

How is the clutch operation overall, is the engagement of the clutch good, or not?
Does this happen when engine/gearbox is cold, warm, hot or all three?
Are all the oil levels good?
Any idea what oil is in it?

I'm sure there are other tests folks can recommend, but that's a start.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2016, 1:45 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
I assume you mean that you are having to exert what you think is a LOT of upward pressure to shift 2-3 and 4-5. (Not 3-4?)

Probably not a WD40 on the linkage issue.

How is the clutch operation overall, is the engagement of the clutch good, or not?
Does this happen when engine/gearbox is cold, warm, hot or all three?
Are all the oil levels good?
Any idea what oil is in it?

I'm sure there are other tests folks can recommend, but that's a start.
Not from 3-4. The clutch is fine, the engagement is really good. I dont like ruding a bike when cold so after 10-15 of starting yhe bike i went on to test is and it didnt cahnge from 2-3 initially. I havent checked the oil level and no idea what oil they used previously. I am going to take the bike to my local bmw dealer on this week and see what they say. Hoping that it wont be a big issue. Fingers crossed

Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2016, 7:39 am
Addict

I have the older brick. Just an observation, but it has been very cold in UK down to -3 deg.C. Many gearboxes are stiffer to change when their oil is cold. Check what viscosity range oil is being used. But I wouldn't change to a lower viscosity range just for a few weeks of cold UK weather. Take the bike out for 1/2 an hour and see if shifting improves.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2016, 8:30 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I have the older brick. Just an observation, but it has been very cold in UK down to -3 deg.C. Many gearboxes are stiffer to change when their oil is cold. Check what viscosity range oil is being used. But I wouldn't change to a lower viscosity range just for a few weeks of cold UK weather. Take the bike out for 1/2 an hour and see if shifting improves.
I have ridden the bike for about 45 minutes but still the same. I am taking it to the local bmw tomorrow. Lets hope it is a simple thing if not the dealer that i bought have to have it fixed as there is 3 months engine and gearbox warranty on it.

Thanks for the advice. Ride safe

Many Thanks
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2016, 8:44 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lncmgl
Not from 3-4. The clutch is fine, the engagement is really good. I dont like ruding a bike when cold so after 10-15 of starting yhe bike i went on to test is and it didnt cahnge from 2-3 initially. I havent checked the oil level and no idea what oil they used previously. I am going to take the bike to my local bmw dealer on this week and see what they say. Hoping that it wont be a big issue. Fingers crossed
Well good to hear that you have some warranty on this, because as a GT owner I have learned that there are very few "small issues", especially at the BMW dealer repair shop. Good luck to you, let us know how it goes.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2016, 7:50 am
Addict

How many miles on the bike? What kind of oil do you use (syn? weight?).

I wouldn't assume the clutch is fine unless you know when it was replaced. I went WAY too long before I had mine replaced simply because it still felt good....until it got to the point where the bike was lurching when I tried to start it in gear with the clutch pulled in. Prior to that it was really hard to engage gears 1 - 3.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2016, 2:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
How many miles on the bike? What kind of oil do you use (syn? weight?).

I wouldn't assume the clutch is fine unless you know when it was replaced. I went WAY too long before I had mine replaced simply because it still felt good....until it got to the point where the bike was lurching when I tried to start it in gear with the clutch pulled in. Prior to that it was really hard to engage gears 1 - 3.
Thats the problem. I dont know the full history of the bike but the last was don in 2012 on 29000 miles. The bike is now on 31600. I went to my local dealer today and they said the gear changes are fine (i felt that as well. Maybe it hasnt been ridden for a long time and justneeded to get going). But they recon the clutch is on its way and quoted me 1750. Oooppss. Then i called and indipendent BMW service center which i used him before (MOTOSCOT) and send him the work via email and he started laughing. He said he could do the same work for half the price but he doesnt think it is the clutch. Like you mentioned it might need and oil change. I have ridden about 50miles today and half with a pillion and the gears were changing fine.

Will take the bike to him next week to be serviced. Lets hope this is it and no unexpected .

Many Thanks
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2016, 3:52 pm
Addict

An oil change might help. It's damn sight cheaper than a clutch, I'll tell ya that!

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2016, 8:53 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
An oil change might help. It's damn sight cheaper than a clutch, I'll tell ya that!
Yep.

BMW has specified 5W40 oil for the Slant/4 engine, in part to help with such clutch/shifting issues.

You can either buy the 5W40 oil from BMW, or get 5W40 from another supplier. Just make sure that it meets JASO-MA standards as specified by BMW. I believe Castrol makes a compatible 5W40 oil (and it's what's used by BMW), and there's also Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic in 5W40 and JASO-MA specs.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Jan 19th, 2016 at 8:59 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode