back in the saddle - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2016, 3:19 pm Thread Starter
Noob

back in the saddle

Just wanted to jump back on the site and say hello again. I've aquired a 2007 K12GT and love the machine. Very lively and likes to get up and go. I have one question, is there a thread about after market seat options. Last time i was on the site I had a 2003 K12GT and sent my seat off to be re worked at a place called Rick Mayer.

What say you, Corbin, Rick Mayer, Russel, Sargent??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	19913  

2007 K12GT Silver. Still pure and Stock

Last edited by BMW-Owner; Feb 14th, 2016 at 3:25 pm. Reason: added a picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2016, 7:55 pm
Enthusiast

Different seats for different butts....I'm a RDL guy on multiple bikes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2016, 12:23 pm
Veteran

Moymuffs has Russell Day Long (RDL) seats. Many of my long distance riding friends have RDL saddles as well and enthusiastically recommend them. RDL acquired the patent for internal spring support from Bill Mayer, Sr.

http://www.day-long.com

I have a Bill "Rocky" Mayer seat and like it very much. I have many years and tens of thousands of miles on it. Rocky is the son of Bill Sr. I highly recommend them. This is my first and only custom saddle. It has made a world of difference in my enjoyment of Iron Butt rides.

The seat still looks almost new. Rocky gave me a bottle of Bee Natural "Leather Amore" and told me to put it on once a month (rub it in like hand lotion). It has done a great job protecting the seat from all kinds of weather.

http://billmayer-saddles.com

Stay away from Rick Mayer (another son of Bill Sr.). Rick Mayer has had some personal issues in the last few years. About a year ago, several people reported that he closed shop and disappeared with their seat money. If you were lucky enough to get your seat back, sometimes it took six months or more. He also has a reputation for not communicating with customers. Even if he seems to be in business now, I would not risk my money with Rick Mayer.

RDL, Bill "Rocky" Mayer, and Rick Mayer saddles are all "descended" from Bill Mayer, Sr.'s business, saddle designs, etc.

Corbin has a mixed reputation. Some people love them. Others had bad experiences with delays or poor support (e.g., hostile reactions) when issues arose.

Sargent - I know very little about them, good or bad. Perhaps others can chime in.

Things I learned about custom motorcycle seats:

* They will raise your feet at stops. If you are on toe tips now, a custom saddle will make it worse or impossible. Don't believe what they tell you about lowering the seat. Custom saddles are thicker (for comfort) and also wider than stock, so you may have to slide forward to plant your foot if you are marginal at stops now.

* Custom saddles need time to break in. It can take 1,000 to 2,000 miles before you achieve that maximum comfort level.

* The first fitting is not always perfect. I did a ride-in fitting, but it was my first time buying a custom saddle. They were very patient, and kept asking me where were the pressure points, etc. The original saddle as fitted was too soft in spots and too hard in another. After the break-in period, I did another ride in, and they fixed the issues perfectly. That saddle has been a joy to ride. The next time I get a custom saddle, I will know what to expect and how to answer the questions. If you live close enough for a ride-in fitting, it is worth the effort. Many of my friends ride a very long way (crossing many states) to arrange a ride-in fitting.

* Give your saddle some TLC. I admit that I don't apply that Leather Amore every month, but I am pretty good about applying it regularly, and it seems to have helped a lot. I try to keep the bike out of the sun, or at least cover the saddle and gauges with old towels.

I hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2016, 2:13 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you for your reply, very helpful indeed. I'm seeing that RDL might be best, though I'm not overly enthused about sending off my seat and me not riding for a while or whenever I choose to. Ah well it's a choice we all have to make I guess.

2007 K12GT Silver. Still pure and Stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode