Loud clutch noise at idle / cam chain already done - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2016, 4:53 am Thread Starter

Loud clutch noise at idle / cam chain already done

I have on 07 K1200gt with just over 25k on it. I have always had a slight clutch squeak since I bought it new. I have lived with that with no problem. Lately I have a loud rattling at idle that goes away if you so much as put slight tension on the clutch. It is embarrassing if anyone is around it is so loud. I have already had the cam chain tensioner done (I also did new chain and gears while we were in there). The dealer tells me I probably need a new clutch and parts alone are 2k. I have just finished replacing the final drive at my cost and the new flange on the recall.

Anyway, after reading a bunch of threads I am confused about this particular noise and how it will affect the riding / further damage of this bike.Your opinions please!

The bike was never very comfortable on long rides (even with a Rick Mayer and Russel day long seats).I am so discouraged with this bike, it's repair costs are ridiculous. I am thinking about trading this for a bike you can ride and not just pay for. I would love opinions on it's current value also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2016, 9:22 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill
I have on 07 K1200gt with just over 25k on it. I have always had a slight clutch squeak since I bought it new. I have lived with that with no problem. Lately I have a loud rattling at idle that goes away if you so much as put slight tension on the clutch. It is embarrassing if anyone is around it is so loud. I have already had the cam chain tensioner done (I also did new chain and gears while we were in there). The dealer tells me I probably need a new clutch and parts alone are 2k. I have just finished replacing the final drive at my cost and the new flange on the recall.

Anyway, after reading a bunch of threads I am confused about this particular noise and how it will affect the riding / further damage of this bike.Your opinions please!

The bike was never very comfortable on long rides (even with a Rick Mayer and Russel day long seats).I am so discouraged with this bike, it's repair costs are ridiculous. I am thinking about trading this for a bike you can ride and not just pay for. I would love opinions on it's current value also.
There is an extensive, ongoing discussion about k-bike clutches over at i-bmw.com. I recommend that you read the thread in its entirety, especially the posts by "4hundred4" regarding his research on the clutches. He is offering various rebuild services as well, where the clutches come back far better than the originals. See:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=51004
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2016, 4:28 pm Thread Starter

I will look into it, Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2016, 12:37 pm
Enthusiast

My clutch 'went' last spring at 55,000 miles. Couldn't find neutral, $1000 at the dealer - fyi. I found the i bmw thread earlier this year, seems to be a great upgrade. Good luck with your situation.

As I look at the bikes for sale only the FJR is close but it is heavier with less power than our GT. I feel abandoned by BMW, I don't want a 750 lb sport tourer.

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 9:42 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeler

As I look at the bikes for sale only the FJR is close but it is heavier with less power than our GT. I feel abandoned by BMW, I don't want a 750 lb sport tourer.
True, there is always a trade-off. In this case you would be getting a less expensive bike with slightly less power that weighs slightly more, that has a larger support network but doesn't break...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2016, 10:37 pm
Noob

a short video that might provide some insight for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFBjE7Ttwk0

[CENTER]ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!![/CENTER]
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2016, 10:10 pm
Noob

Thx for video info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roady View Post
a short video that might provide some insight for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFBjE7Ttwk0
Thank you for that informative video, well done, Roady! And scary. Maybe a lighter viscosity will help get lubricant to that bearing on which the clutch cage rides?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2016, 10:19 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyracer View Post
Thank you for that informative video, well done, Roady! And scary. Maybe a lighter viscosity will help get lubricant to that bearing on which the clutch cage rides?
Thx for that very informative video, Roady! Maybe a lighter viscosity oil will help lubricate the clutch cage carrier bearing? I just bought a used bike w 20K miles on it. Road it 1000 miles the next two days to Atlanta. Terrific and trilling ride. Incredible power, wide torque curve. Mine is still silent, but do get the clutch chirp Sometimes when leaving a stop.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2016, 9:41 am
Noob

I would suggest that you or have your dealership take a look at the clutch... you might get lucky if there hasn't been damage to the clutch basket, or the pressure plate where you will have to replace the clutch plates with a set of barnett clutch plates ..... I wasn't so lucky.. at 54,000 miles my clutch was shot and had to be replaced in it's entirety ... over $2K.. you can bet I will be checking that clutch at 84,000 miles just to make sure there is no excessive wear and provide me the opportunity if necessary to do a $300 repair vs a $2K repair..

[CENTER]ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!![/CENTER]
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2016, 10:02 am
Rookie

Thanks for the thread. I just had my clutch replaced at $1200 for clutch and 1 1/2 hours labour. I will check all in 15K miles and change the plates and springs then at a cost of less than $200.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode