2008 K1200GT Airbox - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2016, 11:33 pm Thread Starter
Noob

2008 K1200GT Airbox

I have a 2008 K1200GT and I have trouble with erratic idle and periodic stalling after a long ride. I also have loads of engine braking and poor driveability in town. I have read all about air box issues but I have no idea how to tell which airbox I have or what software version I have. I am also curious if anyone has replaced the airbox on their own. Is there any way to upgrade your bike software version with a GS911? If I or the dealer upgrade the software can anyone downgrade the version if it makes the bike worse? Does anyone regret having the software upgraded on their bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2016, 8:46 am
Veteran

I bought my 2007 K1200GT new in 2007, and had both the airbox replaced and the software updated several times during various warranty repairs by the dealer. Each step (airbox, software updates) resulted in significant improvements to rideability. The earlier software updates had more noticeable results. I remember the engine braking issue in particular. Engine braking was very very strong when I first bought the K1200GT, and I did not like it at all. The software update that improved the engine braking was a big improvement for me. A minority of riders did not like it. They preferred the "tighter" engine braking.

Don't expect miracles. My K1200GT still has erratic idle and very rare stalling. My battery went dead a couple weeks ago. (It may have been a jacket liner switch left on, or parking light accidentally left on.) Anyway, the bike ran very rough the first few miles and stalled at several stop signs. I tried resetting the throttle sensors. It seemed to help, but I think the engine computer had lost its settings and needed a little bit of riding to adjust itself again. I was starting a 1500 mile ride that day, and the bike was smooth and not stalling by the time I got on the freeway and reached the first gas stop 100 miles away.

Try adding some Techron to your fuel every once in a while. The BMW brand fuel additive that you buy at your BMW motorcycle dealer is much better than the average Techron you buy at the auto parts store. (It may not be true for other fluids such as oil, but the BMW fuel additive has more Techron than other products.)

You cannot update the software yourself with a GS-911. You will have the dealer do it. A third party may be able to do it as well. The guy who makes the PowerFRK offered to tune the firmware on the ECU to "much better than BMW stock" for $300 ($350?) if I would remove it from the K1200GT and mail it to him. I do not recommend the PowerFRK, so I did not take him up on the offer.

The dealer told me (a long time ago), that you cannot downgrade the software. They also told me that there is a limited number of software updates that can be performed, but the number is reasonably high and I should not worry about it. Based on your interests in airbox and engine braking issues, it is very unlikely that you would ever worry about that, unless you get the software updated over and over. It is just something to file away for the future.

Based on your description, I would take your bike to the dealer, at the very least for the software update.

I hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode