ABS Issues with 2009 K1300GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2016, 2:50 pm Thread Starter
Noob

ABS Issues with 2009 K1300GT

Hello Members

I have been having trouble with my K1300 GT, the traction control triangle was flashing on the instrument cluster, the bike would loose power then full power. This was happening constantly, the bike was un-rideable, had it recovered home.
I ordered a GS911, when it arrived I plugged it into the bike, the fault codes indicated front wheel speed sensor activated 104 times but not active now and rear wheel speed sensors activated 144 times but not active now. Cleared fault codes took out for test ride all was ok.
Went out next day to work the same thing happened again, Front and rear sensors fault code again. I have striped the bike down found both connectors unclipped both and no damage to either, re-attached.
I have started the engine and run on centre stand, rear wheel speed sensors works ok, spun front wheel sensor working ok disconnected ABS unit and checked connector all ok. I did all connector checks with battery disconnected.
I put a new set of Michelin Pilot Road 4's on recently ( in early May and have used the bike a lot since), I torque all the bolts correctly although I haven't managed to check the front wheel play, the rear is just as it should be!
Will the front wheel cause the issues above if it has slight play? I have read that the bike has a torque safety system which won't allow the engine to apply full power when banked over, (it cuts power by reducing the spark or fuel to cylinders).
If wheel speed sensors are out of sync,would this make the bike run like a bucking bronco?
Has anybody experienced any similar problems? hope someone can help

Many thanks

Nick
Modify message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2016, 8:00 pm
Enthusiast

Did you bend the wheel speed sensor ring by chance? To answer your question, the answer is yes, it would cause the loss or fluctuation of power applied. The speed sensor inputs are compared to each other by the computer. If the rear is off from the front the computer knows that as a bad thing and would reduce power. The distance between the sensor and ring is very small. If it's out of whack, it will send bad info to the computer (provided it's working correctly).
When you said "slight play" are you saying you can grab the wheel at 9 and 3 or 12 and 6 positions and move it?? That could very well cause enough slop to change the distance in the speed sensor / ring.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2016, 3:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

HI moymurfs

I have checked the front wheel play and there is nothing there. I will check the ring on the front wheel, but the bike was run for three weeks before it started playing up.
The engine keeps cutting out when on tick over,nothing logical, just random cutting out, the revs will fluctuate randomly on tick over
I will check the distance between the reluctor ring tomorrow
Regards

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2016, 10:07 am
Enthusiast

When the system is off does it work fine ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2016, 2:57 pm Thread Starter
Noob

No the system is still the same, either with traction on or off.

Cheers

Nick
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 3:01 pm

rather late to the party....

Mate has one of these bikes and his rear ABS sensor had a broken wire, but took dealer a while to think he found it.... But in the end owner worked out what was wrong, by swapping sensor on inputs to the ECU and that moved fault from one end to the other.

Another main thing to remember.... toggle suspension ESA button up for 2 seconds and it turns off traction control and the bike rides normally.

anyway mine was doing the exact fault post originator had and here's my tale of fun.

Something had caused the same module on my k1300 to go mental with
2786 - Front-wheel speed from ABS implausible
if I turn off traction control the bike comes out of horrendous limp mode

dealer finally got a slot to look at this...on my K1300GT built Oct 2009, they agreed front sensor was giving silly reading and swapped it out at 134 for the part, 3 hours later on my way with a new bunch of software on 3 modules, including the engine map...

for 200 yards the new map felt so much smoother... then in 3rd, around 3500 rpm and virtually no throttle, traction control came in. thought no way... was about to turn back thought maybe something on the road keep going.... yep cut in, lights on dash, did a u turn back to the garage and it was almost un-ridable. Tech couldn't believe it went for a ride himself, took back in workshop 3 hours later I'm like what's happening.... he still on it, oh he's got the back wheel out and is playing with something....

Turns out the bike was happy with the readings to operate the ABS "safely" but for the traction control all the bike cared about was each reading both ends made sense and were aligned.... it then sends one signal to the engine ECU to say all good keep going. Except the rear was throwing silly data now and then, which the bike recognised as loss of traction. But as it only receives one signal to engine ECU it just flags the first on the list as a fault... Which is the front even though the back was the one playing up.

In the end I got 2 new sensors, a remap, new central chassis electronics update and new instrument cluster software... under warranty. Rides much nicer now, which is a miracle result as I'd gone 20 miles to drop the bike off and it hadn't missed a beat all the way there, and I thought they were going to say no fault found, go away !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode