Side Fairing removal, extra wellnut? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2016, 7:54 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Side Fairing removal, extra wellnut?

Hi everyone,

I purchased by '08 K1200GT in the fall and have been absolutely in love with it since. However, I don't love the dealer maintenance costs, as I'm sure most of you don't, so I've been trying to do the simple things on my own.

Today when I was removing the side fairings to change the air filter, and extra wellnut fell out of the fairing once I was pulling it off the bike with all the screws removed. It's one of the grey rubber washer looking things.

I've seen this:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13367

thread with the diagram of where all the screws go and the wellnut should be from.. but i did not remove the screw which it shows the wellnut is from in the picture.

Does anyone have any further input on where this could be from and if it is crucial to make sure it goes back in the correct place? Any further diagrams would also be very helpful.

Thank you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2016, 8:50 pm
Enthusiast

Grey?? That's not a wellnut. Check the hole where your plastic bayonet on your panel pushes into (top of the panel). That hole has a grey grommet that sits in the hole and provides the tension for the bayonet. All the screw well nuts are black.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2016, 10:46 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by plastic bayonet. I suppose you're right about it not being a wellnut though. By your description, is this somewhere between the front fairing and the side fairing? The right fairing is the i removed.

Thanks for your input!

Edit: I think i found a post relating to what you are talking about.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=26221

Is this the grommet and bayonet which you are speaking of?

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...unt20Point.jpg

Edit 2: I took the fairing partially off to check that grommet was still there, and it was. Here is another picture which also shows the bayonet.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...0highlight.jpg

If this is the only grommet for the side fairing, could the one i found just be a loose one someone may have lost a long time ago?

Last edited by MickNotTheMouse; Jun 6th, 2016 at 11:37 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode