Rear brake pads - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2016, 10:09 am Thread Starter
Noob

Rear brake pads

I need to replace the pads on my bike as I have about 25% life on them, but the dealer quote me the pads " Brake pads kit w/brake pad wear indicator" and they are pretty expensive for brake pads, could any one tell me what is so special about these pads? can I get generic pads instead? what is the wear indicator?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2016, 8:33 pm
Enthusiast

If you go with BMW pads you will get the wear indicator. It's actually a harness that plugs into the wiring system. The harness is just a fancy loop. At the end of it is a plastic piece that the wire goes through. It sits in one of the pads and progressively wears as the pad material wears. The rotor will wear through the plastic and then contact the wire. This is when your light will come on. Many of us (myself especially) took the plastic clip out of the pad and merely ziptied it out of the way. Others have clipped the wire up near the connector and spliced the ends together. There is a front and rear indicator wire. Either way it maintains the electrical loop. With this you can use other other (less expensive) brake pads. Do a search. It's all in the site.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2016, 6:24 am
Addict

Here are some EBC brand pads that work:

The rear pads are FA438HH, the front left pads are FA335HH, and the front right pads are FA441HH

A google search will find many places to buy them.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2016, 9:45 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2016, 12:11 pm
Veteran

I prefer the SBS brake pads:

Front: 796HS (x2)
Rear: 671LS

These are the brake pads currently installed on my 2007 K1200GT. I checked my order confirmation email from PowersportSuperstore. They add "-PU" to their part numbers (e.g., 671LS-PU)

I had EBC brake pads installed. The EBC pads were nice because I was able to carefully transfer my not-yet-cut-through wear sensors from the old BMW brake pads to the EBC ones.

Despite being able to use the sensors, I decided to change out the EBC pads and replace them with SBS pads for many reasons: The SBS pads are gentler on the rotors, have a similar feel to the OEM BMW pads, and they may work better with the BMW ABS. The EBC pads were harder and more grabby at the end of a stop. Because they are so hard, I note that the EBC pads do not wear out as fast.

See this thread for a great discussion of EBC vs. SBS brake pads, but read it carefully. Some people (including me) were confused by the different part numbers and got them wrong at the beginning of the thread, so pay attention as you read.

http://i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=30899

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode