I am Cosmin from Romania and as a future K1300GT owner, I started doing my homeworks, reading tens of pages about issues and solutions/workarounds. I like to know in advance what I might face in my trips and what solutions to apply but especially to take some preventive actions in order to avoid the unexpected when I am far away from home. Unfortunately I haven't found a page with all the K1300GT widely known issues and solutions, so I tried to centralize them in a list:
1) Hot start issue - faced by most owner after a gas stop - workaround is wait at least 15mins for bike to cool down a little. Possible causes and solutions:
a) under-dimensioned battery to starter wire which after heating changes its resistance and prevents the start. Solution: retrofit kit/supplemental harness code 16148549916 or 12418532735; sometimes a new improved starter relay is installed also
b) in some cases a new battery solves the issue (mainly a specific Odissey model)
c) some say latest ECU software solves or helps in solving it
d) others claim it's related to fuel quality; better fuel and cleaning (in the service) the throttle bodies/flaps
2) cam chain issues:
a) possible jump of chain could destroy the engine; a plastic jump-guard needs to be installed PLUS the re-designed tensioner;
b) another issue related to the 'gear which begins to come off the end of the cam and the cam mechanism falls apart due to a broken flange that the gear bolts onto' - is this so common, any workaround?!
3) Idle stall or during gear down-shift - solutions:
a) ECU software update - unfortunatelly this affects severely the engine braking
b) better fuel and cleaning (in the service) the throttle bodies/flaps
c) throttle sensor recalibration
4) Fuel leakage:
a) install new fuel pump flange (in some cases even new pump)
b) reinforce the old model fuel flange (DIY work)
5) Rear wheel aluminium flange cracks due to bolts over-tighten:
a) install new steel flange
b) keep using the aluminium one if it's in good state but carefully tighten bolts with dialed wrench and use locking compounds (although I think I read somewhere that Loctite does not get along well with aluminium)
6) Famous handlebar switches: failed left one won't allow using the indicators, winshield adjustment, cruise-control etc; when the right one fails the engine won't start.
a) apparently the issues are caused by some resin (which seals/isolates the 2 overlapped PCBs inside the switch) which melts after bike stayed too much in direct sun on a hot day - in some cases it helped to take the bike away from direct sun for some time. This also sounds similar to issue 1) - don't know if in case 1) the starter is activated but too 'weak' and in case 5) the starter is not engaged at all?! On-the-spot workaround is push-start the bike. Permanent solution - switches replacement.
7) sidecases - retaining straps on the pannier cover get weak and allow the cover to touch the ground after opening. A cable tie in the hole where the plastic tab goes will help in preventing the issue.
8) Final drive bearings failure:
a) final drive assembly replacement (very expensive)
b) final drive rebuild (some did it DIY successfully)
8) Brake fluid foaming issues (don't have too many details) - there is a recall for this also
9) clutch issues 'expensive to solve' - details here would be welcome
10) Stuck fuel gauge - fuel strip installation solves it?!
11) throttle on-off jerkiness (general issue faced by most modern fuel-injected bikes) - easily solved by installing booster-plug or similar devices.
I'm kindly asking the more experienced forum member to correct whatever was misundertood and wrongly written above or if in some cases new solutions were identified meanwhile and also add new issues which might have been identified as common K1300GT model issues. I'm currently riding a Yamah FJR1300 which served me flawlessly in the past 64.000 miles (all maintenance was DIY) but I would love the GT for improved performance, handling, wind/weather protection etc. Though I want to know in advance what I'm getting myself into, that's why I'm a little bit cautios about these issues.
Many thanks in advance.