Tyre Pressure warning light 2009 K1300GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2016, 7:54 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Tyre Pressure warning light 2009 K1300GT

I keep getting warning signal of tyre pressures front/rear, tyre pressures are always correct setting but warning continues to show.Can anyone help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 2016, 1:15 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan
I keep getting warning signal of tyre pressures front/rear, tyre pressures are always correct setting but warning continues to show.Can anyone help please
How many miles are on the motorcycle?

It could it be one of the following:

* Most likely: Batteries are worn out in the TPM sensors in the wheels.

* Cable connection between the TPM receiver and the onboard computer (ZFE)?

* Less likely, but it happens: TPM receiver on the bike is bad. That actually happened to me, two years after I bought the K1200GT. A dealer replaced it under warranty, and the replacement has been good ever since.

If the batteries are worn out on your TPM sensors in the wheels, then you will have to replace them. You will have to remove the wheels from the motorcycle, and then remove the tires from the wheels to get at them.

The batteries in the sensors are soldered to the wires, and then the compartment is sealed in with an epoxy. If you search the Internet, you will find procedures to replace the battery in a sensor, but it does not always work out. You have to scrape out the sealer without damaging the sensor, replace the battery, find a way to connect the wires so that the connection is 100% reliable under intense forces, and then re-seal them (or not).

If you replace the sensors on your own, then you will need a GS-911 diagnostic tool to program the bike to recognize the new sensors. Sensors have ID numbers that you must enter into the GS-911. Sometimes they are on stickers on the sensors, sometimes not. If the ID number is not printed on the sensor, then you must find a way to "wake it up" by faking it into believing that you are riding fast enough to activate the transmitters on the sensors, so that the GS-911 can see it. There are also electronic TPMS tools that can send a signal to wake up a sensor, but they are expensive.

Of course, the dealer can do it for you as well.

BMW sensors are expensive. You can find much cheaper sensors on eBay. I have asked before, but never got an answer to the question about whether the eBay sensors are comparable in quality to the official BMW ones. Nobody seems to know.

To my surprise, the TPMS system is still working on my 2007 K1200GT with the original sensors in the wheels. It has over 55,000 miles on it. The rear sensor is very slow to connect to the receiver. I suspect that the battery is low. Still, that's a very good run.

I would like to know:

* Whether the eBay sensors are comparable in quality to the BMW ones that you buy from the dealer.
* Whether the eBay sensors come with their ID numbers on a sticker, so that you can enter them directly into the GS-911 without the hassle of activating the sensors.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 2016, 8:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Tyre press.warning light

I thank you all for your reply & you have been a big help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode