Next-Gen K1200GT Availability - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2006, 4:14 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Next-Gen K1200GT Availability

Okay, here's the scoop.

I've done an informal survey of 15 dealers throughout the US. None of the dealers had any control over the color of the initial bikes. All have deposits on NO LESS THAN 5, and many have deposits on 7 or 8. It appears that BMW is sending each dealership 2 or 3 units, and THAT'S IT UNTIL SEPTEMBER. BMW is just killing the dealers with this tactic. The same thing happens with the GS Adventure. Sheesh!

Color Stats:

Crystal Grey is the predominant color
Graphite Metallic is the next color
And it appears that Blue will be the hard to find color.

The dealers I polled were in the Southeast, Mid Atlantic, South Central, Rocky Mountain, and West Coast. I haven't heard back from the Northeast dealers or the Midwest dealers.

It was pretty funny when I called many of these dealers. They hadn't been into Centernet yet to see the invoices. They sounded almost as excited as I was to go find out what they were getting. Like little kids at Christmas.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2006, 4:22 pm
Veteran

i bet the graphite will be the most popular...the bike looks better to me in that color.....the white one i saw looked ..not too good...paint can make the whole bike ...good luck !
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2006, 8:47 pm
Veteran

Atlantic Canadian Availability

Atlantic Motoplex our only dealer in the 4 eastern-most provinces, will receive only 3 GTs this year. One of each colour. All three spoken for.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2006, 9:47 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Chris,

Don't you mean until the next production run in September?

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2006, 8:32 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Chris,

Don't you mean until the next production run in September?
You are correct, but around here, the bike "year" is pretty well over by then.

I'd be surprised if the dealer is interested in storing yet another 25K+ bike for the winter. I suppose if demand is high enough, he may be taking one. And he'd certainly want one if it was pre-sold. I know one of his staff currently riding a K1200S wished he could have had one this riding season, but customers came first.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Last edited by SKIZIKS; Apr 28th, 2006 at 9:20 am.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2006, 8:51 am
Veteran

Since I'm getting a blue one am trying to get some info on the 'blue'. My LT is OCEAN BLUE, my GS is 'BLUE', looks the same color as the LT to me, but my color perception doesn't detect the differences. I remember the ORIENT BLUE of the older '03GT as an "OK' blue, but a bit too much Royal Blue look for me. Using the color brochure I have from BMW and the Internet don't seem to show the blue very well. Does the PACIFIC BLUE come close to the OCEAN BLUE?

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2006, 9:15 am Thread Starter
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
Correct, but that means an October delivery and around here things are pretty much wrapping up for the season. I'd be surprised if the dealer is interested in storing yet another 25K+ bike for the winter.

I suppose if demand is high enough, he may be taking one. I know one of his staff currently riding a K1200S is looking for one, but customers came first during the riding season.
I'm with you, Chris. I don't understand BMW's thinking here. Delivery of a very small number of bikes between now and the end of summer, followed by a new production run arriving just before winter?!?!?!?!

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2006, 9:17 am Thread Starter
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
Since I'm getting a blue one am trying to get some info on the 'blue'. My LT is OCEAN BLUE, my GS is 'BLUE', looks the same color as the LT to me, but my color perception doesn't detect the differences. I remember the ORIENT BLUE of the older '03GT as an "OK' blue, but a bit too much Royal Blue look for me. Using the color brochure I have from BMW and the Internet don't seem to show the blue very well. Does the PACIFIC BLUE come close to the OCEAN BLUE?
John,

It's a deep blue, but not as dark as the Orient Blue. It's a lot darker than Pacific Blue. It also has a "Turquoise, but darker" look to it under some lighting conditions and at certain angles. It will be a departure for BMW from a color perspective.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2006, 9:25 am
Veteran

Funny how you can get used to something quickly. BLUE IT IS INDEED! Thanks for the info . . .

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2006, 9:49 am
Veteran

A little off topic . . .

I must admit that as my delivery date gets closer, I'm getting a little nervous. Nervous about the power potential in this bike "for me". That and the size.

I only started riding again in '02 following a 20 year hiatus. My current ride was bought on an impulse one night while surfing the web. I've taken to it like a dirty shirt having racked up close to 50K miles over the last couple of years. I've taken the MSF BRC and Advanced Course two years ago at the National in Spokane.

My ride is an '84 R100RT. But this is a long way from the GT. I'm only 5'6" 160 lbs. Is this bike tooooo big for me?

Anybody got any advice to offer? Suggestions? (besides giving up the bike )

Thanks!!

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode