My GT is here - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2006, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

Talking My GT is here

Well, almost ...

Just received a call from my dealer - their 1st bike will hit the lot in 2 - 3 days ... its my color and with all the options except the alarm.... I said, that works for me, its mine ... about time !!!

IBA 18417
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2006, 10:52 pm
Telepathetic

Did you order the Xenon headlight? Just curious if that option will make it on these early arrivals.

Congrats and post some pics when you get your toy.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:03 pm
Statmaster

The Xenon (HID) headlight will not be on the US-Spec bikes. BMW was not able to get DOT certification on the new GT.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2006, 1:24 am
Telepathetic

Jeffe, do you know if BMW will retro fit the Xenon when it does get certified?

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2006, 7:52 am
Enthusiast

Mine will be in possibly today most likely Tues. Blue with all the options. Looks like each dealer will get between 1 and 3 bikes for now, my dealer is only getting one MINE!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2006, 8:25 am Thread Starter

Looks like BMW has timed the shipping/release so dealers across the country get them at aprox the same time

IBA 18417
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2006, 9:12 am
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowflyn
Jeffe, do you know if BMW will retro fit the Xenon when it does get certified?
I don't know, but knowing BMW, it will be more expensive than retrofitting a kit you can find from any number of other sources. That's what I'll end up doing.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2006, 11:42 am
Veteran

Retrofit - RDC Tire Pressure Control

The September production bikes are being built with the RDC - Tire Pressure Control system. BMW claims it WILL be available as a retrofit to earlier bikes. It is integrated with the CAN bus system and uses the "info flatscreen" as an interface.

In this case a third-party add-on could be of less value as a result. I suspect the radio transponder and monitor inside the wheel is all that will need to be added. That and some minor programming / reprogramming.

I think it would be invaluable, speaking as a guy who checks tire pressure before every ride. Not to mention the dynamic nature of the system during the ride and its warning mechanisms for the rider on rapid pressure loss.

Here's what BMW says about it:

"RDC (Tyre Pressure Control)

The correct tyre pressure is a crucial factor for safety and performance - especially in motorcycling. Only tyres which have he pressure recommended by the manufacturer can offer optimum performance as well as reduced energy consumption. In order to ensure this requirement is fulfilled at all times, BMW Motorrad now has a unique tyre pressure control system in its program.

Anyone who has ever ridden with insufficient tyre pressure knows just how much - and how dangerously - the handling of the machine deteriorates. Of course, this is why one should check tyre pressure at regular intervals and before lengthier trips. A sudden or slow loss of pressure is possible at any time while on the road - e.g. due to damaged valves or foreign bodies - and this poses a significant risk.

BMW Motorrad's RDC system provides the rider with reliable information on the current tyre pressure. It is operates by means of a battery-powered sensor mounted on the rim inside the tyre. This transmits the measuring data via the CAN bus system to the info flatscreen in the cockpit. If there is a significant change in the previously set level, a yellow or red light (depending on the size of the deviation) warns the rider of the pressure loss.

The warning occurs when the pressure is still within the safe range, but is falling rapidly. If a sensor fails, this is also indicated to the rider immediately."

Has anyone seen a price on this yet?

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2006, 1:40 pm
Statmaster

I believe Kisan is the supplier of the unit for BMW. So what was to become the TireAlert II is now what BMW is using in the GT (and other bikes as production moves forward)

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2006, 1:52 pm
Enthusiast

I'm not interested in the tire pressure monitor. I use www.ride-on in my tires. I'd rather not get a flat, than have a warning light telling me I'm getting one!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode