What parts break after 55 000 miles? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2016, 9:53 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Question What parts break after 55 000 miles?

I am planning on going overseas for 8 weeks and would like to take my 2010 K1300GT for 10 to 15K trouble free miles. I have replaced the front and rear shocks, clutch and had all of the recalls completed. I do not want to have any problems while in Europe. I see a number of people have had a problem with the final drive, so I wonder if I should rebuild this before it is a problem. Please add any other items other than the regular items like brake pads, tires, battery and checking valve clearances. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2017, 12:10 pm
Enthusiast

I've replaced the clutch too but not the shocks (63,000 mi) yet. I did have trouble with the coils and had to replace 3, also replaced the cam chain tensioner, but you won't have to, my 2006 K12 had the old version, your K 13 has the new one. No final drive issues here (yet? knock on wood). I wish they still made the K13GT.

Have a great trip.

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2017, 4:47 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeler View Post
I've replaced the clutch too but not the shocks (63,000 mi) yet. I did have trouble with the coils and had to replace 3, also replaced the cam chain tensioner, but you won't have to, my 2006 K12 had the old version, your K 13 has the new one. No final drive issues here (yet? knock on wood). I wish they still made the K13GT.

Have a great trip.
How did you determine which coils needed replacement, and which was the good coil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2017, 6:38 am
Addict

Sounds like you got it covered. My final drive on my '06 bit the bullet around 50K, so it might be wise to get a spare or replace it before you go. It's probably too late now, but go-race.com will rebuild your stock shocks.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2017, 12:40 pm
Addict

Change rear gear oil and lube the splines while doing it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 1:43 pm
Enthusiast

That was 8/15, not sure I remember everything, but dealer had the bike for a month before they figured it out. After almost 2 weeks in CO, the bike sat in the rain for 2 days in Estes Park, very limited riding and hiking. When I fired it up for ride back to Denver it acted like it was missing (showing my age), or like a carbureted bike starting in Spring on a tank full of old gas, hard to keep running at low rpm's.

The dealer said the cam chain made so much noise it was setting off the knock sensor so they put in a new tensioner. I left the dealer and got about 2 miles away and turned around, no improvement. It was there again for over two weeks where someone posited the coils, but they needed some special testing device and had to wait for that. As I said, 3 of the 4 were bad, but I don't remember which one was good. Very frustrating and expensive experience, but it runs great now. They tested everything else. Bike is completely stock - original air box and no ecu flashes. It does hesitate when picking up the throttle every now and then (?).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 10:50 am
Addict

I don't know about trouble free miles, something can always break. I suggest you look into ADAC road insurance. It will get your bike and you to a safe place if an incident of any kind happens out there. It is purchased for the year, unlimited miles. Offers lots of peace of mind if things go sideways. You get a card and a phone number. They arrange towing, etc and even pay for transport for you back to a safe place.

I have had it for years for when I ride my BMW GSA in Europe, and it was good to know that if it broke while in the middle of no where I would be able to get it and me out.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2017, 1:47 pm
Noob

The front wheel bearings on my 2008 K1200GT are shot at 53.7K miles. I'm waiting for new bearings and dust seals right now. Hoping to be back on the road by this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode