Today is the day - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 7:32 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Today is the day

Just got back from watching my bike being assembled from the crate. The Crystal Grey is a very very very light silver. It takes on different colors as you look at it from different angles. A very good looking color.

Already found where I am mounting the GPS, Sirius Radio, Passport x50, and Autocom (using mount balls and mounting system from the mirror bosses). There is a great opportunity for someone like BMR Products or RCU Designs to use the air induction wing under the windshield as a mount. They could build a replacement piece that would have mount points (like the BMR CoPilot Shelf System).

Remus should have their GT system out and available in the coming weeks. And if you don't like the rubber mounted hand grips (that back and forth play that motorman was talking about), Wunderlich should have a replacement handlebar system soon.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow around noon. The dealership has asked for me to have it at BMW of North Dallas on Saturday. So if you want to come take a look, I should be there from 9am to about 2pm.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 8:10 pm
Veteran

I was going nuts trying to figure out what's going on then realized your Next Week thread was bumped by someone and that they weren't in chrono order. Duhhh.

Congratulations Jeff; am happy and envious. My situation not so exciting, but not bad either. BMW Daytona's new sales manager somehow thought I did not want the blue, which is in. I think something is fishy as I don't even know the new sales manager as I always deal with the owner. Anyhow, the second bike, the Graphite is in his inventory and will be here "this week". So, I will most likely be last to ride a GT...bummer. Figured I wouldn't raise too much hell and not piss everyone off.

I will be interested in you progress and the details on mounting your stuff. Also, very interested in YOUR impression of the bike so a detailed test ride report will certainly be expected.

Good luck, ride safe, and enjoy. That Crystal Gray is indeed sweet!

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 8:40 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

I've got to get 600 miles on it very soon so I can take it on the Rango's Roundup in Red River trip. I talked to Randy today. I think he is getting one as well, so there are 2 GTs that will be in Red River a couple weeks from now.

I'll definitely have the trip report for that one. I think the real test will be the 107 miles of nothingness between Tucumcari, NM and Las Vegas, NM. I'll get to open her up then.

Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:41 pm

Congratulations. You're about a week ahead of me. Dealer called this afternoon to tell me he just got the paperwork for my new Dark Graphite Metallic option package two 2006 K1200GT.

I am very interested in how you layed out placement and mounting for your add-ons. Sounds identical to what I'm planning to add to mine. Any assistance is appreciated.

From the Pacific Northwest, albeit the Inland Northwest section, I'm all smiles.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:48 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

I wish BMR Products were ahead of the game, instead of playing catchup. I would really prefer to use something like the CoPilot system for mounting all my gadgets. But since that doesn't exist yet, I am looking at using RAM or Panavise products and the unused mirror bosses to mount my GPS, Radar, and Satellite Radio. I haven't yet determined which tankbag I am going to use, and will be looking at the BMW tankbag when it comes in, or the Chicane 29 liter tankbag. I might also consider the Marsee eTangbag using the corona mount.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:13 pm

While I really like the tank bag and mount for the R1200RT, I agree, especially on electronics, they fall behind. I used the RAM ball for my Street Pilot 2610 on my R1150 RT. Works great. Sound like I'll use the same method on the new GT. I have not used Autocom before, but with the GPS, soon-to-be-added radar detector, and iPod I figure it's the route to go. Where are you mounting it?

Again, congratulations on your new ride.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:56 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Here is my thinking...

Radar - Left Mirror Boss Hole using LegalSpeeding Radar Mount

Satellite Radio - Cycle Solutions Satellite Radio Holder on the Left Side Clutch Cover

GPS - Right Mirror Boss Hold using LegalSpeeding Plate Mount

Autocom - Super Pro AVi (Kit 300) mounted under Passenger Seat

All will be wired to the battery using a relay with a Centech AP-1 Fuse Panel

I have a Motorola SLVR phone, so I have my iPod/Phone integrated as a single unit.

I have a Kenwood LH FRS Radio, and I'll just keep it in my tankbag.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:11 am

Thanks for the photos and the ideas. Much appreciated.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:14 am Thread Starter
Statmaster

BTW, the mounts came from www.cyclegadgets.com

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 8:53 am

When I rented older K1200LT's and R1150RT's in the past, I used to mount my GPS via RAM mounts using the hole near the hand grips. The R1200GS did not have that hole.

I hope the K1200GT does. Is that what you are referring to as the "mirror boss hole?"

And if so, do you recall what the item number, or description is for that mounting support that goes throught he hole, with the screw in the bottom and ball mount on top?

Thanks,

Don Goldberg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode