My new K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 3:57 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Talking My new K1200GT

Hi folks,

I'm fairly new to this excellent forum, and would like to post som pictures of my new K1200GT, in apprecation of all the great information I found here about the K1200GT. I actually ordered the bike without being able to test ride it, so I was very anxious when I picked it up last friday. However, my anxieties was soon put to rest, the bike handles great and it is a lot of fun riding it. So far, after only 1000 km, the only negative thing about the bike is the fueling(?) problem. As one said in another thread "parade mode" is not much fun, but how often do I ride that slow? But still, I hope it will get better with more mileage.

One other thing I'm curious to see if other people experiences, yesterday the right mirror cracked. I called the dealer today and they will replace at no charge, but still it shouldn't happen.

I also ordered the BMW System 5 helmet with bluetooth headset (WCS-1), which I understand is not available in the USA, but so far it works great. On my old bike I had an older Autocom system, but the WCS-1 system has far superior sound quality (so far I have only tried with a cell phone). All I need now is a bluetooth transmitter for my iPod.

Hope you enjoy the pictures (hope I managed to upload them correctly).

Regards,
Gaute

PS. Please excuse any poor spelling or grammar. English is my second language.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5619.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	2309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5622.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	2310   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5624.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	2311   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5626.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	2312   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5633.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	273.3 KB
ID:	2313  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5636.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	2314  

Last edited by orgabeke; May 3rd, 2006 at 8:29 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 8:07 am

Thumbs up My new K1200GT

Congratulations, very nice looking bike. That top case looks like it should hold alot of stuff. I'm looking forward to my demo ride on the K1200GT in early June. Can't wait.
I noticed that the river is still frozen over in your pictures. The weather must still be fairly cold where you live. Does the K1200GT fairing work well in keeping the cold air off of you?

John V.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 8:45 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi John,

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnv
Congratulations, very nice looking bike. That top case looks like it should hold alot of stuff. I noticed that the river is still frozen over in your pictures. The weather must still be fairly cold where you live. Does the K1200GT fairing work well in keeping the cold air off of you?
Thanks. The top case is 49 litres. I believe BMW claims it can hold 2 full face helmets. The fairing works pretty good as to keep cold air off, but not quite as good as my previous bike, Honda STX1300 or the R1150RT I had before the Honda. Too be more precise, I notice the wind/temperature more on my thighs than I did on my two previous bikes. Other than that, I don't feel there is a very big difference. BTW, the temperature when I took the pictures was about 45 degress fahrenheit.

Hopefully (or maybe not...) you will enjoy the test ride as much as I do.

Regards,
Gaute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 9:08 pm

i thought that folks said that the LARGER case (the one here) had NO backrest..... but the smaller one did. or, was it that the larger one had the backrest built in while you have to buy a separate one for the smaller case?

thanks in advance
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 9:55 pm
Statmaster

Hey Greg,

Good to see you back again!

The topcase is the same one that is used on the R1200RT. I can't remember, but I believe the rear passenger backrest is an optional add-on.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:08 pm

thank you jeff. it's good to be back
i hope you don't mind if i lean on you to help me make this GT decision (about whether or not to trade my 2002 LT for the GT). i highly trust and admire your opinions.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:26 pm
Statmaster

I kept the LT for now -- just in case. I've only got 35 miles on it (no time to ride today), but it feels good. I have the bars in the top position, and I already know I will probably be most comfortable at the mid position. Still waiting for all my gadget mounts so I can get it all hooked up.

Sean and Laurene at CycleGadgets.com are AWESOME. Got my order out today, and didn't charge me an arm and a leg for 2 day shipping.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:33 pm

i took a look at the awesome pictures your posted of those mounts. they are quite nice
i have a garmin 376C that i use for GPS and XM RADIO and NEXRAD weather. it's bigger than your radio and i'm not sure it'll fit on there.
on my GS, i use that 376C AND the BMW Nav II simultaneously (i LOVE gadgets like you)
the nav ii is mounted on the GS bar/the BMW mount
the 376C is on an RCU shelf mount

i would like to run both on the GT as well
i use the Nav II for gps at the 800 feet to 0.2 mile range.... while the 376C is used on the 5-8 mile range, mostly for weather... or on the XM RADIO page.

thanks for your thoughts, jeff. i really appreciate them
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:46 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
i thought that folks said that the LARGER case (the one here) had NO backrest..... but the smaller one did. or, was it that the larger one had the backrest built in while you have to buy a separate one for the smaller case?

thanks in advance
The larger case comes with the backrest, the smaller one has one available as an option.

Click
here to become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com

Randy Prade,
Aurora, CO

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:06 pm
Statmaster

I think the way you can get both GPS on your bike would be use the BMW Navigator II mount for the K1200GT (in front of the GT tankbag) -- I'll try to dig up the picture over at www.k1200gt.de (Michael Bense's site). And then the other when BMR comes out with their CoPilot for the GT. That plastic air deflector could easily be replaced with a metal mounting system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
i took a look at the awesome pictures your posted of those mounts. they are quite nice
i have a garmin 376C that i use for GPS and XM RADIO and NEXRAD weather. it's bigger than your radio and i'm not sure it'll fit on there.
on my GS, i use that 376C AND the BMW Nav II simultaneously (i LOVE gadgets like you)
the nav ii is mounted on the GS bar/the BMW mount
the 376C is on an RCU shelf mount

i would like to run both on the GT as well
i use the Nav II for gps at the 800 feet to 0.2 mile range.... while the 376C is used on the 5-8 mile range, mostly for weather... or on the XM RADIO page.

thanks for your thoughts, jeff. i really appreciate them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode