Battery charging via side plug - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 2:36 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Battery charging via side plug

On my previous K1200S I could charge the battery by plugging the charger into the socket on the left side of the engine, but on this 2006 K1200GT bike I cannot do this. I even do not have any power on the socket unless I turn the ignition key, so it loos like this socket is for consumers and is not able to charge the battery. On the K1200GT there is another hole for one more socket, so I guess I would have to buy that and wire it directly to the battery in order to charge my battery that way and not having to remove the cover on the top of the fuel tank every time I want to charge the battery. Any suggestions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2017, 5:53 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
I ran the Battery Tender pigtail to the battery on my K1300 GT. It is tie-wrapped to the frame right under the battery cover. Also makes it easier to connect my heated gear. when I get the energy, I will buy that socket for the second plug on the side and wire it to a fuse block.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2017, 8:36 am
Veteran

The original "Powerlet" socket on the left side of your 2006 K1200GT is connected to the Canbus. The Canbus is computerized - it can shut off any circuit on the motorcycle if it detects excessive current, for example. That's why your K1200GT does not come with fuses or circuit breakers.

Because it is connected to the Canbus, the side socket is special. The Canbus limits it to 5 amps of current. If you plug an electric jacket liner and draw too much current, the Canbus will shut it off. The Canbus also shuts off the Powerlet outlet on the left side about a minute after you turn off the K1200GT with the key. It is the "protective" behavior of the Canbus that blocks charging from normal chargers. If you want to use an ordinary charger, you must connect it directly to the battery See suggestion #2, below.

There are ways to work around the issue:

1. SMART BATTERY CHARGER THAT WORKS THROUGH THE POWERLET OUTLET
There are smart chargers from BMW and others that have been specially programmed to recognize the Canbus-protected outlet. They perform special "handshake" communications with the Powerlet outlet to charge the K1200GT.

* I have an Techmate-brand Optimate 4, which I highly recommend. It is designed to work through the Powerlet outlet and it works great. You can buy it online from many sources, such as Amazon.

* BMW Charger - Search for part 77028551897, 77027722471; or older: 71607688865; 72607679040

2. USE THE KNOCKOUT TO INSTALL A SECOND POWERLET OUTLET, CONNECTED DIRECTLY TO THE BATTERY
As you suggested, install your own Powerlet outlet in the knock-out, and connect it directly to the battery. Many people have done this, and doesn't hurt to have a direct-to-battery Powerlet connection anyway. You can buy installation kits that come with with the covered outlet, the correct wires, etc. It is an easy project.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2017, 11:33 am
Addict

There were ('06 model) two spots for the side sockets. One is factory installed the other is a blank. Buy a new socket and install it in the extra spot and connect it directly to your battery. That's what i did and I have charged my bike for years that way. Also can use it normally because the bike makes enough power to keep the battery charged and feed it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2017, 4:21 pm
Addict

That sounds much like my KRS except it doesn't have a CANbus socket to mess things up. Using the BMW hole to add a second powerlet connected to the battery isn't hard. Just make sure you put in a fuse. My car has Canbus power sockets that goes off when the key is out. It's become a pain for charging small toys like my phone or keeping the satnav running between stops. I'll just add a direct powered socket in the glove box.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in