2007 K1200GT - totally lifeless - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2017, 11:03 am Thread Starter
Noob

2007 K1200GT - totally lifeless

Hoping someone can help...here are the symptoms and please note I am a complete novice when it comes to mechanics - it also wouldn't surprise me if there's some noddy problem I've overlooked...
Bought the bike last year and the time from turning the key to the start of the ignition sequence became longer and also erratic in the length of time it took to kick in.
Bike then failed to start at all on one occasion so charged it up off the bike and it started OK.
Bought a BMW trickle charger and generally started ok but still had the issue with the erratic length of time for the ignition sequence to start up.

Bike then again failed to start and no ignition sequence at all.
Bought a brand new replacement battery and bike still totally lifeless.
Turn the key and absolutely nothing happens.

Love the bike it's a fantastic piece of kit - just wish I could get it to start.

Thanks in advance for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2017, 7:17 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
How many miles on the bike? Could be a bad ground.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2017, 3:51 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF1200RT View Post
How many miles on the bike? Could be a bad ground.
About 15000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2017, 6:36 am
Addict

If you have replaced the battery and when turning the key nothing happens, you may be experiencing what my '06 did to me. My was getting to the point where I had to turn the bars to get it to start. I turned the key on and would wiggle the bars until the dash lit up, then start it. There's a little wire that runs to a little plug on the ignition switch that broke. Once the Shreveport BMW tech located the wire, he spliced in an extra length and wrapped it really good so it wouldn't flex and twist as much and break.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2017, 12:29 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad View Post
If you have replaced the battery and when turning the key nothing happens, you may be experiencing what my '06 did to me. My was getting to the point where I had to turn the bars to get it to start. I turned the key on and would wiggle the bars until the dash lit up, then start it. There's a little wire that runs to a little plug on the ignition switch that broke. Once the Shreveport BMW tech located the wire, he spliced in an extra length and wrapped it really good so it wouldn't flex and twist as much and break.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried moving the bars into different positions but to no avail...might time to visit a dealer
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2017, 9:19 am
Veteran

I suspect that the antenna wire is broken in the ignition. If it is broken, then the K1200GT will not start. There was a recall on the antenna wire problem a long time ago.

To start your K1200GT, your K1200GT and its key need two things: (1) The correct key cut (groove) in the key itself, and (2) a radio "handshake" between a computer chip in the key and your K1200GT. If the key cut is worn or incorrect, then the key won't turn (duh!). If the signal between the K1200GT and the anti-theft chip in the key does not work, then the engine will not start.

See this old thread, especially my comments in post #10:
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/43-k12...tml#post179705

I hope this helps.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2017, 11:43 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for your help - i'll give it a go

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode