New GT - First impressions from owners - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2006, 11:20 am Thread Starter
Just saying hey

New GT - First impressions from owners

Hello, all. For those still contemplating a purchase of the '06 GT, a limited view from my perspective. I just took delivery of a crystal grey yesterday. I'm 5'9" and 275 lbs.

Suspension - Night and day difference from the K1200RS. This bike feels poised for action even at the comfort setting. In sport mode, it soaks up bumps like crazy while tracking thru turns even more surely than the already rock-steady RS. The bike feels like it weighs 100 pounds less and turns in with just seemingly a thought of steering input. It strikes me that it sits "higher" than the RS but that could just be me. I'll probably use the normal mode for my commute.

Engine - Wow! Revs much quicker and has more torque. The reported "parade mode" throttle complaint was there in full force until I adjusted a lot of play out of the throttle. That made things much nicer rolling on in turns, etc, but transitions from off to on throttle are still less serene than the RS. I suspect added low-end torque is the reason.
It also seems buzzy by comparison, but I'll reserve judgement on that for a couple of thousand miles.

Comfort - First impressions are mixed. I actually had three K12RS's, so this is admittedly too soon to judge, but.... The seat seems to be bulbous (much like my butt) and centers my weight near the middle without spreading it out evenly across the surface. I'm guessing I'll get used to it, or maybe it will conform. The windshield (tall) reminds me of the LT's with slightly less coverage, which is a good thing. I believe I'll be able to make my 30 minute commute with out earplugs. It came to me with the bars in their highest position, so I'll have to experiment with that. Leg position is more relaxed than the RS, of course. My wife likes the feel of the passenger seat and loves the independent heating control of her seat. That was a nice surprise.

Appearance - For Pete's sake, you MUST see the crystal grey in person. The BMW website makes it look like a dingy police bike. The dealer had called me saying he got his first (now mine) but that it was the grey. I didn't bother to rush right down to see it because of my dislike of the pics I had seen. So, just go see it.

Keep in mind, these are off the cuff first impressions, and that's all. Other new owners, why not jump in and share your thoughts as you come on board?

Thanks to every one for creating such a helpful, cordial board.

9baller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2006, 1:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9baller
Other new owners, why not jump in and share your thoughts as you come on board?
Wish I could, but I don't take actual delivery till about 3pm today

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9baller
Appearance - For Pete's sake, you MUST see the crystal grey in person. The BMW website makes it look like a dingy police bike. The dealer had called me saying he got his first (now mine) but that it was the grey. I didn't bother to rush right down to see it because of my dislike of the pics I had seen. So, just go see it.
Absolutely, its totally different in person.

IBA 18417
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2006, 2:18 pm

I just saw the GT in person. Looks great! Better than the pictures. It's smaller than I thought it would be (good thing) the paint is great. The handlebars are rubber mounted and a lot of adjustment. I can see one of these in my future. A lot of extras. Electric windshield, heated grips, cruise, bags and more. I think this bike is going to be very popular. I have owned two RS's and I have to say that from what I have seen, BMW has hit a home run. I own an KS now and love it. The GT would be a perfect addition. Oh the 1200 GS would be a nice edition too...............price out the door was under 21,000. I've seen the new Kawasaki ZX14. It just looks crude. BMW is just so much more refined.

Last edited by vegasdude; May 6th, 2006 at 2:34 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2006, 3:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasdude
I've seen the new Kawasaki ZX14. It just looks crude. BMW is just so much more refined.

while what you say is undoubtedly true... it is important to realize that the ZX-14 is HALF the price of the a fully loaded K1200 GT
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2006, 2:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
while what you say is undoubtedly true... it is important to realize that the ZX-14 is HALF the price of the a fully loaded K1200 GT
Not really, my friend payed almost 14,000 for his 14...........
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2006, 7:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasdude
Not really, my friend payed almost 14,000 for his 14...........
yeah,
there is some gouging going on. the folks in my town will sell the bike at $11,000.00.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode