Holy Cr*p! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By lhendrick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2017, 6:39 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Holy Cr*p!

Ok, I never thought I could be so dumb, but I managed to put diesel in my K1300GT and ride a few miles before it finally died.

Now at the dealers . . . and wait for it . . . . 601 for fuel line clean and new plugs!!!

Totally my fault I know, but I think I have reached the limit of what I can stomach with BMWs servicing costs.

Ouch!

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2017, 8:45 am
Veteran

Let me extend my sympathies. :-(

Perhaps you can take comfort in learning that you are not the first person to do it. A friend of mine (with his wife riding pillion) did the same thing to his 2007 K1200GT many years ago. He filled it with diesel, they rode out of town, and then the motor stopped. Unlike you, they were riding in the very hot deserts of Southern California. Fortunately rescue came quickly. They had to tow or trailer their K1200GT home. Even back then, it was an expensive repair.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2017, 11:50 am
Rookie

Garage
Really sorry to hear what happened. However I'm not entirely certain you can blame bmw for the expense. What would the same issue coast in another make? I would guess it would be similar money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2017, 2:31 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
Really sorry to hear what happened. However I'm not entirely certain you can blame bmw for the expense. What would the same issue coast in another make? I would guess it would be similar money.
Mmmm, not sure. I wince whenever I visit my dealers service bay and I'm offered a swanky cappuccino and the bathroom is like a 5 star hotel; that's being paid for somehow!!

I keep the bike under a warranty (as I'm concerned about the big ticket failures it's prone to) and this means I can't do servicing or a repair like this myself. 120 for an oil change when serviced is another example.

Nope, it's time to step off the BMW merry-go-round I think.

Honda build quality and reliability is looking very attractive right now!

D
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2017, 9:26 am
Addict

Yes, get a Honda. They run great on diesel
XMagnaRider and Wynnded like this.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2017, 12:02 pm
Rookie

Just a couple random thoughts on this. If I'm not mistaken, to change the plugs, doesn't the radiator need to be drained, removed, refitted and refilled and bled? I'd think that would account for quite a bit of time. I recently had just my tank out to check some things and it's a pain just doing that. Both side panels have to come off, the tank cover, the two little grey fill panels, the battery so I could get my paws down to disconnect the fuel line and electrical connections....

Thinking pretty hard about parting with mine as well....

12/2006 Build K1200GT
Tesla > Edison
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2017, 6:31 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynnded View Post
Just a couple random thoughts on this. If I'm not mistaken, to change the plugs, doesn't the radiator need to be drained, removed, refitted and refilled and bled? I'd think that would account for quite a bit of time. I recently had just my tank out to check some things and it's a pain just doing that. Both side panels have to come off, the tank cover, the two little grey fill panels, the battery so I could get my paws down to disconnect the fuel line and electrical connections....

Thinking pretty hard about parting with mine as well....
Yes, you must remove the radiator to change the spark plugs. You might as well do a valve clearance check while you are in there.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2017, 7:48 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider View Post
Yes, you must remove the radiator to change the spark plugs. You might as well do a valve clearance check while you are in there.
That's exactly what I was thinking when it was discovered that I had a bad coil. I told the tech, well, if that coil is bad the plug probably needs replacing. May as well replace them all. Being that far in, may as well check the valves, replace the coolant too. He replaced the fuel pump under the TSB/recall thing too. Put the cam chain guide in too. This was all when I only took it in for the rear wheel flange replacement. "Only" $1200 when it was all said and done.....

12/2006 Build K1200GT
Tesla > Edison

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode