2Likes
  • 1 Post By lhendrick
  • 1 Post By XMagnaRider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2017, 3:34 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
What does ESA II actually do?

Can anyone tell me what difference ESA II actually makes?

I have tried the various settings, Normal, Comfort, and Sport...and One Up, Two Up, and With Luggage.

I can't feel a difference. How can I be sure it is working?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2017, 8:24 am
Addict

There are two functions:

Preload (one-up, two-up, etc) increases load carrying by adjusting the length of the spring, and can be seen as the rear of the bike actually rises and lowers as you cycle through.

Damping controls the rebound of the front and rear shocks as the bike goes over a bump. From comfort to sport there is a noticeable change in ride from soft to firm. There is no visible indication of changing these settings.

So, you should be able to see the rear of the bike go up and down with preload changes and you should be able to feel a change in damping.

If you cannot then ESA may not be functioning.

After testing, next step could be hooking up a GS911 tester to see if any fault codes are present, or taking the bike to a dealer for testing.

There is plenty to go wrong with ESA (broken wires, burned out actuator motors, etc). Obviously BMW will want $$$$$$ to repair or replace, and there are other non-BMW options for replacement if needed.

Good luck and happy riding.
roadwarrior likes this.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 8:57 am
Veteran

@lhendrik has done a good job of explaining the features. He wrote what I would have written. Perhaps I can help explain the "experience".

PRELOAD (one-up, luggage, two-up):

Stop the motorcycle, put it in neutral, but leave the engine running. While still straddling the bike, plant both feet on the ground to take your body's weight off the seat. Press and hold the ESA button until it starts flashing for pre-load (one-up, luggage, two-up). While the preload is flashing, press the ESA button quickly to make a change. Wait a few seconds, and the preload adjustment will begin. You should feel the bike raise and lower itself slightly between your legs. Always wait until the adjustment stops before you put your weight on the seat or ride away. Don't be tempted to adjust preload at a red light. It may turn green while the preload setting is still changing.

DAMPING (Sport, Normal, Comfort):

Try riding at freeway speeds on a highway that isn't perfectly smooth. I do NOT mean off-roading, gravel, potholes, or any kind of really rough road. I mean a mostly smooth road with a little texture, such as the expansion seams in concrete, for example. You should be able to feel the texture of the road through your body and through the handlebars.

Sport - This is a very "tight" feel. You will notice every little grain of sand and tiny crack in the road in your body and through the handlebars. Try swerving around objects on the road as you approach them. Steering changes should feel very "tight" and responsive.

Normal - Something in-between Sport and Comfort. In my opinion, closer to Comfort.

Comfort - This is a much smoother feel. All the grains of sand and tiny cracks in the road seem to disappear. You don't feel them at all, and the larger cracks are not as jarring as they would be in "Sport" mode. Try swerving around objects on the road as you approach them. Notice how the steering feels more sluggish and less responsive, especially when compared with Sport mode.

If I were to use autos as a comparison: I would say that Sport feels like a tight sports car - not a luxury car, but a real sports car. (I wonder whether Porsches feel like that?) To me, Comfort mode feels more like a Buick. Obviously motorcycles are not cars, and my K1200GT still handles very well even in Comfort mode. It handles even better in Sport mode.

In general, I use Sport mode in the twisties and those times when I want the absolute best handling. I use Normal mode for local riding and for when I am not really paying attention or simply don't care. I use Comfort mode for those long rides on the Interstate.

Don't be afraid to experiment, and don't be afraid to throw away the labels and find the settings that best fits your personal style, needs, and comfort.

Finally, the preload and damper settings do not matter that much. If you cannot tell the difference, then they do not matter at all. The differences are subtle. I frequently find myself riding along, and then I suddenly realize that the bike has the "wrong" ESA settings. It happens to me often. For example, the bike could be loaded up with heavy luggage, and I've already crossed California and Arizona. I may be in the middle of New Mexico when I realize that the preload setting is still "one-up" instead of "luggage". So what. Nothing broke. I am not going to pull over and stop for two minutes on the Interstate just to change the preload setting. Next time I remember it, I may change it. I may not. One-up is slightly lower than the other damper settings, which makes it easier to plant my feet and balance the heavily loaded bike at stops. The truth is that I enjoy riding so much that I may not be thinking about the ESA settings.
roadwarrior likes this.

Last edited by XMagnaRider; Apr 17th, 2017 at 9:03 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2017, 9:11 am
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider View Post
If I were to use autos as a comparison: I would say that Sport feels like a tight sports car - not a luxury car, but a real sports car. (I wonder whether Porsches feel like that?).
Yes they do. I own three.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode