536 miles and nanner puddin' - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2006, 10:39 am Thread Starter
Statmaster

536 miles and nanner puddin'

What a day! I didn't start out to do that many miles, but it just sorta turned into something longer.

First, some stats:

536 Miles
The northern portion of the Texas Cemetery Run
Talimena Skyline Drive (both ways)
2 helpings of banana pudding served by one great waitress
41.6 MPG overall
63 MPH overall
Top Speed - I cannot confirm, nor deny my actual top speed for the day

Question of the day: How long does it take the new K1200GT to pass 3 semi-trucks?
Answer: Whatever it is, it is definitely measured in NANOSECONDS

I cannot get over the acceleration this bike has. Sure, we all expect it from bikes like the K1200S and K1200R, but geez! Who would have thought you could have this much power in a full-blown touring bike. Wow!

Instead of just more of the same report I just posted yesterday, let's hit the things I didn't like.

The Seat: It sucks. Period. Since it is impossible for any manufacturer to make a seat that fits anyone, I'm not gonna hold it against BMW. We'll see how the 2000 mile trip to Red River next week turns out. I've got almost 700 miles on the bike now, and the seat isn't getting any better. But I have found something out. The lower position is actually more comfortable than the high position. I am 6'3" and you would think being in the high position was better. Not the case. Leaving it in the lower position makes it tolerable. I'll probably be talking with Ron Miller at Kontour Seats very soon.

The Windshield: It's no wonder there is such a large market for aftermarket windshields. I don't know what human being BMW used for wind tunnel testing, but I just can't seem to find that right spot to keep the wind blast or buffeting from driving me nuts. My thinking is that Cee Bailey's will make a +4 wider +4 higher with a laminar flip very soon. I'll be talking with them tomorrow on another issue, so I'll bring it up with them.

Okay, enough of the bad. Now the good.

I love ESA. Comfort/Sport/Comfort/Sport. There's lots of flat and straight between twisties in this part of the world. ESA allows the K1200GT to be a capable touring bike, and provide the sport that the K1200RS lured many of us to BMW. In conjunction with the Hossack suspension, this bike does things that are simply amazing for a big 640 pound touring bike. After spending most of the afternoon at the Talimena Skyline Drive (think of it as Cherohala Skyway, but longer), the new GT is a perfect balance of sport and touring. Normally, this is something that can't be done very well and still get both spot on.

The word is "Effortless". When it comes to steering this beast, that's the only word you can use to describe what it takes to fall into a turn. The twistier, the better. 15 and 20MPH turns were a breeze at 2 and 3 times that speed. It's amazing how well this bike response to input in even the most difficult of turns (outside decreasing radius turns, for example). David Scott switched off bikes with me on the Talimena Skyline drive, and it was amazing the difference that exists between the RS and the new GT. The refinement that BMW has put into this bike in terms of handling, steering, and suspension.

Where does BMW send the engine heat? I sure as hell couldn't find/feel it. Somehow, somewhere, BMW has set up the airflow on the new GT to dissipate heat in a way that I haven't quite figured out. I was on the bike for nearly 10 hours yesterday and couldn't feel any heat. Sure, it was 72 degrees, but still there should be some heat off the engine. Gone are the days of the K1200RS/GT cooking your leg. Someone out there at BMW really gets it. The guys at Yamaha and Honda could learn a thing or two about heat management from this new BMW.

It's the little things that catch you off guard. The cruise control is seamless. Just as on the LT and the newer RS/GT, the cruise works perfectly. And with this monster of power engine in place, there are no issues with And who would have thought a computer display could be so helpful? Finally, two trip odometers. Not that big of a deal, but once you start using them, you start to wonder why they weren't there before. MPG, average MPH, temp gauge, all at the touch of a finger.

18 miles and I wanted her back. When David Scott and I stopped in Mena for some gas, I offered to let him take the bike on the way up to the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge. It was only 18 miles, but I wanted my baby back. While the K1200RS/GT was a capable bike for its run of 1998-2006, this new generation K1200GT outclasses it in so many ways. It's funny how you can get used to certain things like the heat coming off the engine, the box-o-rox feel at idle, the lag in the old brick spinning up -- none of which you would notice if you hadn't corrupted your soul with the new K1200GT.

For those of you satisfied with your K1200RS or previous generation K1200GT, DO NOT TEST RIDE THE NEW GT. You won't be able to go back to your bike and be satisfied.

Feel free to fire off all the questions you want. I couldn't think of anything else to write, so I just threw this together. If there's something I didn't cover in the first report and this review, let me know.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2006, 10:54 am
Veteran

Ok, so the bike is totally wicked.

What made the waitress so great?

Thanks Jeff for the great reporting. I'm expecting my Crystal Grey machine within the next three weeks, and reading your reports is making the wait both bearable and unbearable at the same time.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2006, 11:25 am Thread Starter
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
What made the waitress so great?
A young, little, red-headed cutie who went into the kitchen to get me the extra-special banana pudding after the busload of tourists had picked the dessert table dry.

She couldn't imaging being from Dallas and having a place as wonderful as the Cheesecake Factory close to me, that I'd ride a couple hundred miles for the banana pudding.

Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2006, 12:07 pm

Thumbs up Write On!

Jeff,
Great follow-up report!
I am curious how the GT handled on the highway with cross winds and truck traffic. Also how the sitting position feels on your back, arms, and wrists after a few hundred miles. I have gotten pretty spoiled with the comfortable ride of my 02 LT for the last 134,000 miles!

I have a deposit down on the next one into our dealer here in Portland...also Crystal Grey and supposed to be in this week. Have you had any pangs of wishing you had waited for a blue one?

Thanks again for the great report,
Jeff
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2006, 3:09 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Good Question!

I did find that if you followed in too close behind a semi, the slipstream had you jostling around a bit. Most of it was your helmet buffetting around. Similar to riding the K1200RS, but not rock solid like the LT.

Since the blue is like the gunmetal blue on the R1150R Rockster, I'm glad I took the Crystal Grey. The blue is different enough that the Crystal Grey is easily substitutable over the Blue. Having looked at the Graphite, I think that's the color that will really sell.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2006, 4:06 pm

Quote:
My thinking is that Cee Bailey's will make a +4 wider +4 higher with a laminar flip very soon. I'll be talking with them tomorrow on another issue, so I'll bring it up with them.
El Jeffe, I'd be looking to see what they could do also - maybe more like +2 wider +2 higer but no flip, just the stock shape expanded. I had a #1 for the RT that way and for me, it was perfect

IBA 18417
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2006, 4:43 pm

Question Ergonomics

Jeff,
After doing the 500 miles, with the more "lean forward" sitting position than the LT, how did it feel on your back, arms, and wrists?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2006, 4:49 pm

"Effortless" is the word

As I was on my way home this afternoon, after putting about 275 miles on the bike, I was trying to think of the best way to describe how it handled, and I came up with the same term: "Effortless."

. . . as well as smooth & forgiving!

But my but was getting a little sore after a few hours as well. Not sure how well the stock seat will do on long days in the saddle.

Don Goldberg
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2006, 11:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchRider
Jeff,
After doing the 500 miles, with the more "lean forward" sitting position than the LT, how did it feel on your back, arms, and wrists?
The position felt upright to me, the reach to the hand grips was a relaxed bent elbow position and the hand grips were right there. If there is any forward lean it is not noticable.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2006, 11:20 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPSCOTT
The position felt upright to me, the reach to the hand grips was a relaxed bent elbow position and the hand grips were right there. If there is any forward lean it is not noticable.
FYI: I had moved the bars to the middle position before this trip, so David's experience riding mine was with the bars in the middle position. The bike arrived in the crate in the highest position.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode