Cost of Oil Change - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lhendrick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2017, 2:39 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Cost of Oil Change

Hello Everyone,

My name is Matt, I've been on this site quite often but never signed up until today. I ride a 2008 k1200gt, currently have 62k miles. Picked her up about two years ago. I have a quick question for the guys with the k1200gt's. I was wondering how much you pay for an oil change at your local stealership? I was quoted 159.99 for my 2008 k1200gt. That seems quite steep for a bike. What are others paying? I have done the oil changes my self but recently I have no room or time for this.

Nice to meet everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2017, 1:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt301 View Post
Hello Everyone,

My name is Matt, I've been on this site quite often but never signed up until today. I ride a 2008 k1200gt, currently have 62k miles. Picked her up about two years ago. I have a quick question for the guys with the k1200gt's. I was wondering how much you pay for an oil change at your local stealership? I was quoted 159.99 for my 2008 k1200gt. That seems quite steep for a bike. What are others paying? I have done the oil changes my self but recently I have no room or time for this.

Nice to meet everyone
Howdy!

Larn to change yer own oil.

Where I come from they're called dealerships and they aren't all equal. YMMV

Greg

'09 K1300 GT
Fortune favors the prepared.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2017, 7:33 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt301 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Nice to meet everyone
Yes, $159.99 sounds high. Of course BMW dealerships will charge you about $20.00 per liter of oil x 4 = $80. One filter for $20. Add to that one hour of labor at $100 per hour (if your lucky) and you have $$200. So, you are getting quite a bargain! You also don't have to on the ground and get oil all over the place and dispose of it properly.

I do my own. A gallon jug of Walmart oil (Shell Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W40) for $24, a filter for $10 from beemerboneyard online. It takes me an hour and my rate is $0 because I'm retired. Total cost $$34. If you go for the more expensive oil brands because it makes you feel better you can double my cost and still come in for half of what the dealer gets.

I get dirty, I hate having all that dirty oil all over the place, but when I'm done I have a glow of satisfaction that I didn't pay my dealer for something I can do.
Rager likes this.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2017, 2:13 pm
Noob

I have K13GT. I think the oil change was easy, but you need have the service manual because it is not straight forward. BMW oil was not too expensive. I got a kit from Sierra BMW - filter, oils, air filter (mine was very dirty).

On the K13GT the left foot peg is removed to free the oil filter. The bolt heads my bike had been striped by some BMW mechanic yob. I am not sure how a K12 and K13 differ but I was able to back out a single bolt to free the oil filter and didn't have to remove the foot peg.

Also I would look into an oil pump for next time. The oil tank drain hose seems like it could become brittle and break and leak oil everywhere. It would be better to suck the oil out of the tank.

The previous owner had paid BMW service prices for sub standard work. The stripped bolt heads were just one item that I found.

Oh, again not sure, but the oil change service reminder may have be reset - expensive tool or trip to BMW service or just ignore it.

Good luck.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2017, 2:04 am

For shure. I've redone work done by Certified John Deere mechnics. 'Cause someone didn't take the correct photo of the process. Ya, the photographer didn't set up the picture right/ d'oh.

'09 K1300 GT
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2017, 7:34 am
Veteran

The dealer price sounds normal to me. One of my local dealers used to have a loss-leader special - BMW oil changes for $70. I used to ride in for their traditional weekly Saturday morning breakfast at a coffee shop across the street. After breakfast, we'd walk back and they would change my oil. That deal was a few years ago, now long gone. The coffee shop closed a couple years ago, too.

Sometimes I am in a hurry before a long trip and I pay a dealer to change my oil. When that happens, I typically pay between $100 and $150. Sometimes they give me a "bargain" sometimes not. Either way, it is not really a bargain. :-(
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2017, 2:42 am

But it gets done with a minimum of busted and scraped things.

Greg

'09 K1300 GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode