K1200GT Custom GPS Mount - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 9:18 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up K1200GT Custom GPS Mount

I'm rather fond of the stock look of my bike, and consider many of the mounting options for a GPS to be intrusive or ugly. Consequently, I spent a little time creating a custom installation for my Garmin Quest II GPS.

The obvious location for me was just above the instrument cluster mounted to the dash / wing between the instrument cluster and the windshield. To begin the installation, I removed the two screws holding the wing to the bike, lifted the front of the wing, and unclipped the back. Then I figured out the best means to mount the GPS.

First I purchased the Garmin motorcycle mounting kit. A nice mounting cradle showed up a few days later, along with the requisite power and audio cable. Eschewing the including extra mounting bracket, I fabricated 2 angle brackets from aluminum stock purchased from Home Depot. The aluminum stock is 1/8" thick, and 3/4" wide. The two brackets started out 3-1/2" long, and were bent at roughly the 1" mark to slightly more than 90 degress. I located the angle brackets against the back of the mounting cradle, and drilled holes and mounted the brackets to the cradle.

To locate the cradle at the correct location and height to clear the windshield in the lowest position, the cradle was located in the exact center of the wing. To acheive the correct height, four 1/2" spacers were used between the angle brackets and the wing (on the underside). Four screws were used with the spacers to mount the cradle to the wing. I suspect two screws may have been sufficient, but I decided on four to minimize vibration. All hardware is stainless, and the nuts are of a nylon locking type. All the mounting hardware came from the local Home Depot.

While the wing was off, I also mounted my EZPass (highway electronic toll tag) to the underside of the wing. After mounting everything, the wing was re-mounted on the bike.

To install the power wire, I ran it around the outside of the instrument cluster (IC) and through the metal loop underneath the center of the IC. From there, I fished it through the fairing to the left of the gas tank, and led it down inside the side panel to the auxilliary socket on the left side. The wire was ty-wrapped to keep it place. At the auxilliary socket, I stripped back the wires going to the socket, and directly connected the GPS power to the socket connector wires. Everything was soldered into place and wrapped with electrical tape for insulation.

The job turned out very well. The GPS is front and center, and appears to be a stock installation. The wire is invisible. Attached are a few photos for your viewing pleasure.

I'm sure some vendor will eventualy devise an easier means of doing the same thing, but I need the GPS now! The K1200GT has serious legs, and serious navigation is required to match.

Tom..

2006 BMW K1200GT
2001 Honda RC-51
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1701.jpg
Views:	1286
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	2399   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1703.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	2400   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1705.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	2401   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1708.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	2402   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1709.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	2403  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 9:29 pm
Statmaster

Looks great!

I expect that once BMR Products gets ramped up, this will be the approach they take. BMR has already hit previous home runs with their CoPilot Shelf System for the K1200LT and R1200RT

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Did you get two keys with your GT? I only received one.

Plus I got another key that looks like it may work for the bags and glove box. I wish I had an alternative key in case one is lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2006, 7:00 am
Veteran

Really nice job!! Great step-by-step instruction.

Thanks!

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2006, 8:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniumguy
Plus I got another key that looks like it may work for the bags and glove box. I wish I had an alternative key in case one is lost.
You can order another key from your dealer. They won't have them in stock, as the key has to match something in your specific motorcycle, but it only took a couple of days to get mine. $63.00 US, though, so don't lose one! :o
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2006, 8:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben
You can order another key from your dealer. They won't have them in stock, as the key has to match something in your specific motorcycle, but it only took a couple of days to get mine. $63.00 US, though, so don't lose one! :o
No kidding about the cost, $64 here. You'd think for what these things cost they could give you two . I figured by ordering it, I will never lose the original, but if I didn't, I'd stuck in the middle of nowhere someday, waiting for an overnight delivery from BMW.

Great job on the mount!

06 K1200 R
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 3:46 pm Thread Starter

One more thing...

Although the custom mount is very sturdy, the slight cantilever induces vibration in the GPS. To fix, I used black electrical tape to attach one foam earplug to the top of the instrument cluster. It's just enough to support the GPS and it eliminates the vibration. It's small enough that it cannot be seen.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 11:51 pm
Addict

i got the gps mounting plate from bmw that fix on the center of the bars and ordered the mount from touratech. let's see how i can put them together.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode