Heated grips won't switch off - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lhendrick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2017, 10:31 am Thread Starter
Noob

Heated grips won't switch off

I've had this problem a couple of times now, my heated grips won't switch off. One (right hand) needs changing as its stopped working. Has anyone had this before, is there a separate controller box for the grips somewhere?

2011 K1300 GT EE.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2017, 11:07 am
Addict

The heated grips, like most of the electrical accessories, are controlled by the ZFE module, which is located on the forward right hand side of the bike under the big side panel. A good plan might be to get access to a GS 911 diagnostic tools to see if any error codes have been generated. It could be a short circuit in a switch, any of the wiring between the components, or a failure of the actual ZFE itself.

If you have a known bad heated grip, and that is because of an open or short circuit, the ZFE may not be able to control the circuit. Good luck.
Rager likes this.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2017, 3:08 pm

FWiW some bits of the system is sort of self-healing, Instead of a battery backup they must use caps. I'm guessing that shutting a failing operation off and then back on reboots it.

Today my cruise control started getting wonky from (?) over use?

I shut the entire cruise off and then back on and seemed to bring all of it back. No sweat.

Cool is dialing the twist OFF (throttle OFF) shuts off the cruise control like grabbing a brake or moving the set paddle OFF.

Sometimes the set paddle doesn't turn the cruise off, no problem for me. There are redundancies.

'09 K1300 GT
Fortune favors the prepared.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode