Battery charger - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 10:06 pm Thread Starter

Battery charger

My dealer says the gel charger from my 04 GT won't work on the new GT. Has anyone bought the new charger? How much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 10:25 pm

I'm planning on wiring one direct BMW plug to a fuse to the battery

That way I can use my Battery Tender and not worry with the new CAN bus battery charger. That's what Jeff Dean (RT Board) did wiht his R1200RT and it makes sense to me.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 10:31 pm

charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydogg
My dealer says the gel charger from my 04 GT won't work on the new GT. Has anyone bought the new charger? How much?
I've got an 05 K/S and just got a GT. Have the new style BMW charger (supplied by BMW for the Canbus system) and decided to use it on the GT and now use another charger on a direct to battery plug for the S. In short, it does not work. After trying all the possilbe options of keeping the bike awake before plugging in, the short story is that the circuit goes to sleep shortly after the charger starts to do its thing. Another guys does the same as mine and he has noticed that his goes to sleep when the charger light hits green.

The charger works great on my S but it has not been updated with the 6.0 and I assume the GT has that new software. So, if you buy a charger, make sure they'll take it back if yours shuts down too. The only "local" option is to install a direct to battery accessory plug then you can use whatever charger you want.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 10:33 pm
Statmaster

Because the new K1200GT is the CAN-BUS architecture, the accessory port on your bike is deactivated soon after you turn off the bike. Here are your options:

1. Get the BMW special charger that sends a digital pulse train to tell the computer to keep the accessory port on so the charger can do its job.

2. Get the CAN-BUS Helper from Touratech and install it for an open accessory socket: http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/se...helper&=Search

3. Install a direct wire to the batter to plug in the charger.

Unless someone has designed something else, that's all I know.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 10:45 pm

canbus charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Because the new K1200GT is the CAN-BUS architecture, the accessory port on your bike is deactivated soon after you turn off the bike. Here are your options:

1. Get the BMW special charger that sends a digital pulse train to tell the computer to keep the accessory port on so the charger can do its job.

2. Get the CAN-BUS Helper from Touratech and install it for an open accessory socket: http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/se...helper&=Search

3. Install a direct wire to the batter to plug in the charger.

Unless someone has designed something else, that's all I know.
Sorry to report that at least on two new GT's, option one does not work

Doug
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2006, 11:39 pm
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
Sorry to report that at least on two new GT's, option one does not work

Doug
The charger that is specifically designed for the CAN-BUS bikes doesn't work on the new GT?

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 10:10 am
Veteran

That's correct Jeff. Both Doug and I are having the same issue. Trust us that we know the 'routine' as we both have/had K12S's with CAN-bus and I additionally have an R12GS with CAN-bus.

The charger will cycle thru the LED's and eventually hit the green, final/full-charge LED, and then shut down as opposed to being in the float-charge mode. The shut down period can vary, but it appears that once the battery is charged the CAN-bus outlet shuts down.

I am in the process of trying to put a www.powerlet.net outlet somewhere in the dark gray area to left/or right of the instrument group, but am wary of tearing off stuff to be able to get to back of that ONE-piece piece of non-painted tupperware. I want to do this not for charging purposes but to power some products without hard-wiring.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 11:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro

I am in the process of trying to put a www.powerlet.net outlet somewhere in the dark gray area to left/or right of the instrument group, but am wary of tearing off stuff to be able to get to back of that ONE-piece piece of non-painted tupperware. I want to do this not for charging purposes but to power some products without hard-wiring.

How about putting the power socket in the lockable glove box? That's what I've done and wired ir directly to the battery. Doing it this way meant I didn't have to drill through any of the expensive plastic.

Handy and secure for leaving a phone in to re-charge overnight etc.and you can use this outlet to charge the bike battery using a standard battery tender.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 12:53 pm
Rookie

Direct to Battery Charging

Didn't I read somewhere that the battery must be disconnected to charge directly, in order to avoid potential damage to the Can-Bus?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 2:03 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDrifterus
Didn't I read somewhere that the battery must be disconnected to charge directly, in order to avoid potential damage to the Can-Bus?
Been doing it directly and CAN-bus on K12S and R12GS for over a year . . . no probs.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode