The wait is killing me!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 12:17 am Thread Starter
bjn

The wait is killing me!!!

Hi guys. First post. Have been reading this forum since the new GT was announced last year as it is the type of bike I have been waiting for to upgrade my 1999 R850R. I nearly bought the 1150RT, then the K1200S, then the R1200RT. Loved them all, but none were 'just right' for my needs.

Its been great to see all the owner photos and ride reports as the bikes haven't even arrived in Australia yet! I should be able to see one in the flesh by the end of May and go for a descent test ride. The dealers in Australian pretty much all have one of each bike kept as a demo. Can't wait!

A couple of questions:

1) I get the impression from other posts that the large top box only comes in one colour. The light silver. Is that true? If so, how close is that colour to the crystall grey bike?

2) Has anyone ridden both the GT and the 06 FJR? I'm taking the FJR for a test ride and am interested if anyone can compare them? (Don't worry - just taking the FJR for a ride to bide my time. Its a nice looking bike in the flesh but I'm a BMW fan and want cruise controla and ESA)

BJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 8:24 am

Actually, I think it is close enough so that the causual observer may not even realize it doesn't match. That's the combination I have on mine, and it does not bother me at all.

. . . but, of course, I'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other!<g>

Don Goldberg
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 8:38 am

I confir on the closeness of the colors. While they are not the same, to the casual observer or being more than 20 ft away, they look very very close. The trunk just doesn't have the 'irradesence' that the crystal grey has. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 12:21 pm

I have to disagree with the previous posters about the color match of the large topcase lid matching the Crystal Grey Metallic. They don't look too bad together, but they don't match, in my opinion. The top box lid is a low gloss silver, while the Crystal Grey Metallic is, well tough to describe. I has a very deep gloss to it, and in the sunlight it is a very light silver, nearly white, with metallic flecks deep in the paint. Viewed under fluorescent lighting, it becomes almost a golden rose color. Viewed under incandescent light, it gets even more of a rose tint. On a cloudy day, it just looks very light grey to silver. the color changed are very like the "Illusion" colors that Honda used on some of their Goldwings, and charged several hundred dollars extra for.

I couldn't decide on the large or the small topcase, so I ordered one of each, and am getting both of the lids painted to match the bike. About 700.00 US for the pair, through the dealer. I'll use the small one for local runs, maybe without the saddlebags (panniers?), and slap the big box and side bags on for cross country work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode