Picked it up today!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 1:52 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Picked it up today!!

I have to add myself to the list of those who have to wait no longer. I picked up my Crystal Grey K12GT from BMW Ventura this afternoon. I had placed a deposit back in December after sitting on the bike at the Long Beach MC show. It has been a long wait and the last two weeks were the worst, as the time neared for delivery. I have been making many visits to the various forums for information in the last two weeks and I want to thank those who have gone before me for their observations.

I rode home from the dealership, about 30 miles, and I feel that something is not quite right with the shifting on my bike. It might be a loose clutch cable but each shift, up and down, is pretty noisy, clunky, and sloppy as compared to my 1999 K12RS. I realize that it is a new clutch and might require a little break-in to get working optimally. Any suggestions?? I will put in some more miles tomorrow and bring it to the dealer if the sloppiness persists.

I just finjished reading the manual and I have to say that there were many errors in the book. For example, the book says that you cannot change the ESA damping while in motion. I believe this is incorrect. I'll find out tomorrow.

One good thing is that the original literature and websites indicated a maximum GVWR of 962 pounds and the actual limit is 1146 lbs. You can safely add 525 lbs to the bike without concern for overloading. I am 5' 10" and around 250 lbs., so you can see why I was concerned. A passenger and luggage might have been an issue at 962 lbs.

I can't wait to see the aftermarket explode with new goodies for the KGT.

That's all for now. Thanks again for sharing and caring.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA
2006 K 1200 GT- Crystal Grey Metallic
1999 K 1200 RS- Dakar and Grey Taxicab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 4:38 am

You go, Pete ! ...damn, I'm getting impatient now.... Let us know how the shifting hassles pan out, will ya !
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 8:14 am

I thought the shifting/clutch was a little sloppy and noisy when I rode mine home from the dealer, but have to admit that it was hardly noticeable afterward, i.e. when I put a couple of hundred miles on it over the weekend. Don't really know why. Maybe it just takes a little getting used to? . . . may require a more "decisive" shift effort than you are used to, for example.

Don Goldberg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 9:31 am

Quote:
It might be a loose clutch cable but each shift, up and down, is pretty noisy, clunky, and sloppy as compared to my 1999 K12RS.
Then again, might not be a cable as its hydraulic

Coming from an RT the shifting doesn't seem vague or loose at all, but of course the RT trans is notorious for its reluctant and tractor-like behaviour. When just going down through the gears coming to a stop though, the GT does clunk.

IBA 18417
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 12:50 pm

Congratulations!

I don't have any suggestions on the noisey and clunky shifting. Mine seems pretty good, although not as quiet as my previous GT, it feels much more precise. I think wet clutches take a bit longer to release fully compared to the dry clutch we're used to, which may be part of the problem. My Gold wing clunks at least as bad as my new GT.

I'd suspect that it will quickly get better as the parts settle in to each other.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2006, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

Update!!

I rode about 125 miles today and figured out the shifting issue. It seems that the clutch contact point is almost at the very end of the clutch lever. This is much farther out than on my KRS. Once I got used to the new dynamic the bike shifted beautifully.

Is there a way to adjust the clutch contact point mechanically by adjusting cable or the clutch itself?? I have small hands and already have the lever in the #1 position.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA
2006 K1200 GT
1999 K1200 RS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode