Delivered today in San Francisco...at last! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 12:10 am Thread Starter
Noob

Delivered today in San Francisco...at last!

Here she is, waiting for me at BMW San Francisco.
Delivered this afternoon!

I traded-in my 2003 R1150RT for her; I thought I would miss the boxer (I had a R1100RT before the 1150). Not for a longtime
The engine sound reminds me of the K1100LT I had in the mid 90's: soft, polished but this time with much more power... Staying at legal speed is challenging.
The gearbox is smooth but not vague; the syncros are easely found. The tall windshield is ok, even though I feel the air pressure on the arms and shoulders (I am 6.3); The seat is indeed "rough on the edges" I will certainly wear the padded briefs I use for cycling; It makes long hours on a bike more enjoyable and comfortable where... you need it most.
Andiamo! has a great line of cycling underwears for men and women; you can find them in bicycle stores or on line.

My only complaint so far is a whistling noise coming from "somewhere in the front" (not identified yet); It happens during the acceleration and stops at cruising speed. I will neutralize this over the weekend (hopefully).
100 miles tonight; I just can't wait to ride over the week end: the weather is perfect for a long, long ride... :p
--JM (San Francisco Bay Area)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01575_low.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	2415  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 1:02 am
Statmaster

Congrats. I'm sure you're gonna love it. So, which road are you going to break her in on?

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 11:54 am

Congratulations!

I think the whistling noise is normal. Including mine, I've ridden three now, and they've all done it. I think it's kind of cool, sort of sounds like it's turbocharged or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 11:58 am Thread Starter
Noob

Wink

Thanks!

I have two possibilities: South along the ocean on Highway 1 and back via central valley (about 350 miles) or Sierra Nevada to Yosemite National Park and back up north west through Toiyabe National Forest.

You can find maps and recommendation for great rides on the San Jose BMW web site:
http://bikes.sjbmw.com/docs/home/home.asp
("motorcycle rides and tours" tab). They post turn-by-turn and timetable indications as well as pdf maps. Weather forecast is 75 to 80; I just can't wait.

What about you?
Safe ride,
--JM
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2006, 1:18 pm
Statmaster

I took her up to the Talimena Skyline Drive (about 3 hours NE of Dallas -- well, 2 hours on the GT ), and did a trip of just over 500 miles. I'm leaving for a 4 day trip up to Red River, NM next Wednesday, so I should be able to get another 2000 easy by the end of next week. I can't wait!

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode