Okay, the seat doesn't suck that bad - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2006, 5:29 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Okay, the seat doesn't suck that bad

I guess it was just a matter of my fat ass getting accustomed to the seat on the GT. I just finished adding another 300 miles today for a total of 1000 on the odo. My butt feels just fine today, so I guess I'm breaking in the seat (or in my case, breaking the seat ).

I had the first service done at almost 700 miles, and the bike feels so much smoother after the service. 3rd thru 6th shift effortlessly and without the "notchy" feeling I described in my earlier reports. Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, through neutral, and into first still feel deliberate and "notchy". But I expect that will go away over time. I leave on Wednesday for Red River, NM and should have a very nice long distance report to file following my return.

But the friggin' windshield still sucks. Tom at Cee Baileys should have a GT screen with a laminar flow flip very soon. It couldn't come soon enough.

Did I say that I love this bike? We were talking at the Hard 8 at lunch today. Someone asked me how I liked it. I thought for a second, and after being asked this question a lot over the past week and a half, I've come up with the answer for me -- The new K1200GT is the best motorcycle I have ever ridden. I still hate the looks, the windshield sucks, the seat is growing on me, but from a performance/handling perspective, I have never ridden another bike that was this good. Sure the MV was a blast. The LT was so comfortable, but what do you expect from a rolling barcalounger. The RS was so smooth, but it's not the new GT. This bike is something special. The suspension inspires confidence, the handling is as tight as the MV, and the power band is perfect for a super sport tourer (however riding at 35-40 MPH is kind of a chore).

What a bike!

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2006, 5:42 pm

Jeff,
how often will you ride the LT..... do you think?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2006, 6:01 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

The only time the LT will get ridden is to the dealer to put it up for consignment.

Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2006, 6:03 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Oh, I forgot. Gas mileage is up over 43 MPG and that includes some runs at an "undisclosed" speed. The reserve light came on at 205 miles, and the miles to empty said 36. I rode another 17 miles before getting gas. It only took 4.9 gallons. So that means there was a gallon and a half left in the tank. This bike easily has the range of the LT.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2006, 6:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
The only time the LT will get ridden is to the dealer to put it up for consignment.
well, i guess that about sums it up
thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2006, 10:02 pm
Enthusiast

The seat was too hard for me!

Motorman
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2006, 10:16 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Motorman,

Give it a 1000 miles. It got better for me.

If that doesn't work, give RonKMiller at Kontour Seat a call. He's a supporter of the site:

http://www.kontourseat.com/

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 11:29 am

Unhappy Another Perspective

WOW! Even after only 300 miles on the Crystal Grey GT that I picked up Tuesday evening I can personally confirm wholeheartedly everything thing that has been written about the GT as far as performance and handling. The engine should be referred to as a "thruster" in every gear...I am not sure what one would need the rpms above 7000 for other than "rocket racing". The bike instantly inspires confidence in its handling. I did my favorite local twisty road last night at speeds that I never would have thought comfortable for me. This bike was designed for those kind of roads!

I absolutely love this bike but I am really struggling with the ergos. A good part of the riding that I enjoy is longer distance touring, with as much freeway as two lane twisties I am experimenting with the bar height and seat height to find a spot where the ergos on this bike will work for me (6'1", 220 lbs, 32" inseam). After my initial hour with the seat up and the bars all the way up my butt had gone numb. The seat, as others have mentioned, concentrates all of your weight on your pelvic bones. The design of the seat keeps you forward against the tank and (I think that this is the critical part) the knee angle of the peg placement makes this the natural riding position. It is, in fact, the perfect position for doing the fun roads, but for me only for an hour at this initial setting. Since then I have lowered the bars midway and that seems to create enough forward lean to better spread the pressure points. I know all about the custom seat route as I have had my 02 LT (135000 miles) seat done three different times and my RT done as well. For me, I think that lowering the pegs ( I have lowered pegs on both my LT and RT) and the custom seat route will be needed to be comfortable for distances. I also realize that getting used to this position versus that of my LT is part of the “finding comfort” process. The other downside to the peg placement and my length of legs is that the knee bend is fairly tight and my bad right knee was starting to remind me after an hour. I was very close to taking the bike back and telling the dealer that it just wasn’t going to work for me…BUT I was so enthralled with the performance that I have decided to perservere.

I experimented with different settings for the windscreen and for my torso height, I was looking over it at full up, had a nice pocket of still air for my helmet, but a fair amount of wind on my shoulders. I am sure that the after market folks can address this..

The other item that has taken away from the full enjoyment is the very sensitive and twitchy throttle that others have mentioned. Hopefully a freeplay adjustment will help some and I have already mentioned this to my dealer to correct on Tuesday when I bring it in for the 600 mile service. As it is, it is way to sensitive for my tastes and riding comfort. You have so much "thrust" available, that hitting the slightest bump can bring it on at the wrong time. I have ridden my step sons CBR1000 and the GT's throttle is very similar...maybe its appropriate for a race bike but not a "touring bike". Hopefully there will be a fix for this.

I just love the bike’s performance and its lighter weight. It feels even lighter than my RT. Working out the ergos will be a bit of a challence, but I feel it is well worth the effort. Due to the low resale value of an 02 LT with 135,000 miles on it, I am planning on keeping mine. Worst case, I can alternate with my old LT and enjoy the GT for a year or two until the new LT comes out and see where we go from there

Sorry to be long winded, but I hope that this is helpful.
Jeff
"MitchRider"
Portland, Oregon
06 K1200GT “GEE TEE”
02 K1200 LT “MCH RDR”
04 R1200RT “RT TIME”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode