Hard to shift to second gear when cold?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2017, 9:37 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Hard to shift to second gear when cold??

I never had this problem before. It used to shift smoothly (with a clunk of course) from first to second gear, but lately I have to really pull my foot up to shift to second gear. In addition, I have trouble finding Neutral which used to be easy to do. Finding Neutral is now difficult even with engine warm. Any clues as to what is wrong and what needs to be done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2017, 7:20 am

The place I would start is changing the lube to make sure it has the recommended stuff in it. 50k miles on mine and I sometimes don't seem to shift correctly. A little 'up' with the foot and sometimes a little squeeze of the clutch lever.

One or two of the gears 4-5, I sometimes don't release the foot lever with my foot and "a- she don't aa- wanna shift". 2 and 3 gear ... sometimes I think it's like butter. I'm so-o good. hahahah

'09 K1300 GT
Fortune favors the prepared.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2017, 9:08 am
Enthusiast

Garage
I had an issue with mine when the air temperature was in the high 90's and the bike had been running for 400 miles or so. It would shift from 1st to 4th okay but it took a little more effort to get into fifth. Sixth gear was okay. I had just done an oil change with Castrol Racing 4T 5W-40 before I left for my trip. BMW tech said it was heat related.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode