My new GT is broken - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 1:04 am Thread Starter
rjc

My new GT is broken

I picked up my new GT on Thursday and rode it 40 miles home on Mullholland Drive. Saturday morning I rode it to breakfast at the Rock Store to show it off. After breakfast we were going to go for a ride, but it wouldn't start. I had it towed to my dealer and the diagnostics said it was the fuse to the fuel pump. There is no fuel pump fuse. There are no fuses. It will be at the shop for a while while they try to sort it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 2:40 am

Won't start?

Interesting. Twice now, mine wouldn't start. I had to turn off the key, then back on. Then it started. I wonder if the problems are related? At least mine started...
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 6:35 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc
I picked up my new GT on Thursday and rode it 40 miles home on Mullholland Drive. Saturday morning I rode it to breakfast at the Rock Store to show it off. After breakfast we were going to go for a ride, but it wouldn't start. I had it towed to my dealer and the diagnostics said it was the fuse to the fuel pump. There is no fuel pump fuse. There are no fuses. It will be at the shop for a while while they try to sort it out.
there must be at the least a fused link....and are you saying that the bike in hole has no fuses?.....what a way to start on a new bike.hope things work out and that is the last problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 8:18 am
Ivy

I have a new GT also and I have had the same problem, usually after the bike is warm. Sometimes I just have to wait about 15 seconds or so and then it will start, I thought it might be in the computer just doing a test. Also I have a new Autocom (Active Plus) and was wondering what is the best place to hook up the power on this new bike? This new wireing system is a little new to me, with the no fuses etc.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 8:58 am
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy
I have a new GT also and I have had the same problem, usually after the bike is warm. Sometimes I just have to wait about 15 seconds or so and then it will start, I thought it might be in the computer just doing a test. Also I have a new Autocom (Active Plus) and was wondering what is the best place to hook up the power on this new bike? This new wireing system is a little new to me, with the no fuses etc.
We powered mine off of a Centech AP-1 unit installed in the battery compartment. The AP-1 has 6 fuses, so you can power a bunch of other things off of it. We put the Autocom unit where the toolkit that BMW doesn't give you anymore should go. I have a better toolkit anyway that I keep in the side case, so that's the perfect place to put the Autocom.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 9:07 am

eljeffe,

Did you use a relay with the AP-1 to provide switched power, and if so, where did you get it?

Many thanks.

Bud
2006 K1200GT - Graphite
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 9:21 am
Statmaster

No, we went a different route. We installed a waterproof switch so I can control when the AP-1 is powered. I believe Raffy sells a product that will allow you to go from the Parking Lamp and use it for switched power. You might check with Raffy, but I know the guys with the CAN-Bus system on the R1200GS and R1200RT have successfully used this:

http://motogear4you.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=2 (first item on the list)

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 9:51 am

Just what I was looking for. Thanks.

Bud
2006 K1200GT - Graphite
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 10:16 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
there must be at the least a fused link....and are you saying that the bike in hole has no fuses?.....what a way to start on a new bike.hope things work out and that is the last problem
There are no fuses. All the loads, including the fuel pump and it's driver electronics, are monitored thru the ZFE (central chassis controller). There is no fuse on the schematics between the battery and the ZFE that I can see.
By the way, there is a new DVD out from BMW with schematics of all the BMW bikes from 1993 to the present including the new GT. Part # 06 73 7 703 031.

Jack Hawley
MOA #224
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 10:26 am
Riding in company

I've posted this link over and over on various threads. Are these not exactly what you're talking about?

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/bm...76F2B2EFD7440E

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode