Paging Greg S (ClearwaterBMW) to the white phone - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 7:58 am Thread Starter

Paging Greg S (ClearwaterBMW) to the white phone

Greg,

I've seen you post questions about passenger comfort on the new GT. While my wife's bike was in yesterday getting new tires and routine service, my wife and I went for a two up ride on my GT for a couple of hours.

We had a pretty strong Northwest wind, but nothing compared to what you might run into out on the Western plains. I had the small topcase trunk installed to provide some security for her. Keep in mind that she has almost never ridden two up, she's ridden her own for well over twenty years, so she's used to the comfort and control of the riders position. Prior to her current R1200RT, she had a GL1800 Goldwing for about three yeas, so she's used to "comfort" touring.

Her comments follow:
"The seat was very comfortable."
"The seat vibrates at some speeds, not bad, just noticeable."
"It's the windiest bike I've ever ridden on, it seemed like the wind was hitting me from everywhere when we were on the interstate" (we were running 80-90 MPH at the time, lots of traffic)
"This bike just soaks up the bumps, I can feel the suspension working, but it's like riding on a cloud" (ESA was set for two up, comfort)
"It's way more powerful than my RT"
"Except for the wind, it's very quiet"
"That was fun!"

We're both really large people (read as FAT, but don't tell her I said that! ), and the bike handled the load very well, and still had passing power in top gear to jump to triple digits almost instantly! Power and torque this this bike has! Right now, and anywhere in the RPM band!

Even with all that load on it, it was nimble and easy to handle at any speed, including almost no speed at all. In traffic I could comfortably feather the clutch a bit and ease along at a walking pace without wobble or worry. My only fear is that I may forget to put my feet down someday after I stop. THAT would sure crunch some plastic!

Anyway, only a test ride will tell you for sure, but I thought you'd like to hear. In my opinion, for two up touring, this bike desperately needs a MUCH larger windscreen, other than that it works! The thought of this engine in an LT just makes me drool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 12:21 pm

Ruben,
How nice of you to write that up for me... I really appreciate it.
this glowing review sounds wonderful. I wonder how much a Cee Bailey's larger screen will take some, most, or all of that "It's the windiest bike I've ever ridden on, it seemed like the wind was hitting me from everywhere when we were on the interstate" business?

Carol won't like that at all, i don't imagine. Thanks so much again, Ruben...
I'm only 2.5 hour north of you... We MUST get together and ride sometime soon
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 6:14 pm Thread Starter

As soon as aftermarket windshields start becoming available, I'll probably buy some to try them out, most of my bikes have had several before I find one that I like. Actually, for warm weather riding, I'm beginning to like the OEM one, windy yes, but keeps me cooler. We rode all day today, and even in 95 degree weather it was OK, MUCH better than riding my Goldwing in the heat.

I'm going to a ride to eat next Sunday, come on down and meet some folks.
It's Sunday, May 21st at 11:00 AM
Linger Lodge Resort Restaurant
7205 Linger Lodge Rd
Bradenton, FL

This RTE was called by one of the members of the Motorcycle Tourer Forum, and everyone is welcome. They ride all kinds of motorcycles, but mostly long distance or touring bikes. Very informal, just drop in and mingle. If you can make it look me up, I'll be the florid faced fat guy, often seen hanging around looking lost! Depending on the time of the year, we get anywhere from a dozen to fifty or sixty show up. This time of the year, I'd only expect a dozen or two, which makes it much easier to visit.

I hope to see you there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 6:49 pm

interesting and very valid point about the wind and heat of the summer.
i have locked that location into the GPS of my R1200GS.
i have to photograph some baseball tournament for my nephew on friday and saturday... but, sunday ought to be fine.
i'll let you know for sure
thanks for the invite

take care
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2006, 10:37 am

Ruben,

I live about two miles from Linger Lodge. Are you meeting at Linger Lodge at 11:00 or are you starting your ride at 11:00? I would like to stop by and see a K12GT.
I have a 06 blue/white K12S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode