RAM Mount, GadgetGuy GPS,Centech Fuse Panel - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 9:53 am Thread Starter
Veteran

RAM Mount, GadgetGuy GPS,Centech Fuse Panel

Here are some pix of a quick/easy RAM mount, Gadget Guy GPS mount, Centech fuse distribution panel, and the BMW tank bag. And someone holding me up to steal my GT.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

1. The first picture is just to show that the base of the U-Bolt RAM mount has elongated holes which fit very nicely on he clutch reservoir plate, with no drilling, just a couple of SS flat washers.

2. The second picture shows the mount on the reservoir cover. There is a GPS holder on it in the picture, but that wil be changed to a flat plate to accommodate the XM antenna/puck for the 376C.

3. Picture 3 shows the tank bag, Gadget Guy GPS mount, and the RAM mount. BTW, the tank bag looks better in picture . . . 2D perspective makes it look bigger than it is.

4. Shows the Centech AP1 fuse distribution panel. Nice to have everything properly fused; with #10 AWG wire to battery, it's secure enough; for the OCD types, a piece of Velcro can be added to front of the panel.

5. I almost lost my GT to this shady character outside a pub in Fernandina Beach, FL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RAM-UboltTank.JPG
Views:	627
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	2435   Click image for larger version

Name:	ReservoirRAM.JPG
Views:	1075
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	2436   Click image for larger version

Name:	RAMGADGGUY.JPG
Views:	610
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	2437   Click image for larger version

Name:	CENTECH1.JPG
Views:	1253
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	2438   Click image for larger version

Name:	holdup.JPG
Views:	558
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	2439  

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 10:01 am
Statmaster

John,

That setup looks sweet!

Couple questions:

1. Did you wire the Centech with a relay to switched power, direct to the battery, or some other method?

2. Does the GPS on the Gadget Guy mount block anything on the dash?

Thanks

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 10:09 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
John,

That setup looks sweet!

Couple questions:

1. Did you wire the Centech with a relay to switched power, direct to the battery, or some other method?

2. Does the GPS on the Gadget Guy mount block anything on the dash?

Thanks
I wired it directly. I may talk to Centech and get the relay. But the relay has to be picked of of something like parking light, to activate the fuse panel. You idea of picking the relay with a switch better and I will probably do that. I would at times, as I am sure you would, like power without turning on the ignition.
2. GPS mount clear for me and I am sure for you. Very classy machining job by Genna!

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 10:30 am
Veteran

John,

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. Your setup looks great!

Couple of questions:

1. The discreet component wiring to the Centech unit will be routed where?

2. The GPS mount is supported by longer replacement screws into the clutch reservoir correct? In your opinion is this "strong" enough to take an inadvertent whack without breaking the reservoir?

3. If you've directly wired to the battery, the Centech is constantly powered, no? So why the switch and/or relay? Is there problems with constant power?

Thanks!

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 11:07 am

I just want to thank you guys for taking the time to share this info with less mechanically competent folks like me. It's a big help.

Thanks,

Don Goldberg
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 12:03 pm
Telepathetic

Just want to second Don's comments. As I start to sort out what and where I want things I'm gonna need some help. For someone like me, the GT toolkit is over kill.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 2:18 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Another Solution

1. The discreet component wiring, and I hope I am interpreting the question correctly as I sound like smart ass and don't mean to be: It will go to the component. e.g. The only thing I have wired to the fuse panel is the GPS at the time being. The wire neatly routedd to/thru fork area to GPS.

2. The reservoir cover as having sufficient strength is an interesting and poignant question. The lever arm of the RAM extension can indeed add some significant twisting to this. Perhaps I will keep the ball moderately loose . . . and weight on the arm is a downward vector so that will not be a problem. I only intent to put the XM radio/puck on it and that's not that heavy. But, thanks for updating me and I will not have the ball torqued down too tightly.

SEE MY LATER REPLY REGARDING LEGALSPEEDING'S solution, rather than RAM mount.

3. With regards to the switch/vs direct wiring, as I currently have it; it's only a problem if you have current drawing devices. e.g. The 376C is always keeping the lithium battery charged. The switch/relay would be a precaution against that. I will most likely install a switch to pick a relay, or else see if I can find a non-agricultural looking switch that can handle the 10 AWG wire, mount the switch somewhere so that the fuse panel not always activated. BTW, the wire doesn't even need to be that heavy . . . I can't think of any device that would-come close to the amperage of the lowest fused socket e.g. 5 amps. Most likely radar detector, Autocom, GPS, low current devices.

Good luck, glad to help.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA

Last edited by jpalamaro; May 14th, 2006 at 4:24 pm. Reason: Additional Information re: Legal Speeding
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Thank you so much. Can you please post a better picture of the GPS mount

I just picked up my GT yesterday and am not sure how to mount the GPS and Radar detector. I'd love to have an RCU shelf, but I cannot see anyplace to put one.

I realy appreciate all the pictures you posted. I have the Centech and independently put it exactly where you did. I wired it directly as well with no relay.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 4:12 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Legal Speeding Boss Mount

http://www.legalspeeding.com/ has this mount that ONLY can go in the right hole/boss grip. I will explain later. Here are pictures. If you don't want to risk damaging your clutch/reservoir cover, this may be your answer.

Aaron Zimmerman is the designer of this device. I have spent some time with him . . . Cycle Gadgets is shipping the incorrect model . . . they are shipping the ones, perhaps erroneously shipped by him, but the one they are shipping is for metrics.

At this time Aaron's device will only fit the hole/boss on the right/throttle grip. Believe it or not the boss on the clutch side is slightly smaller and the post will not fit. it only a few hundredths of an inch, if that smaller, but the post is machined to such close tolerances it will not fit. Aaron working on that.

IF ANYONE WANTS A NEW ONE, PER THE PICTURE, LET ME KNOW AND I WILL SEND IT TO YOU, NO CHARGE. YOU CAN THAN BE ASSURED IT'S THE CORRECT ONE. PAY ME WHEN YOU ARE HAPPY . . . EASIER THAN RETURNING FOR CREDIT.

Attached is a picture, top, bottom, with appropriate Garmin or flat surface mounting. etc.Its quick disconnect, even fasster than a RAM mount and very well made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LegalSpeedingtop.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	2449   Click image for larger version

Name:	LegalSpeedingBottom.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	2450  

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 6:14 pm
Statmaster

I was with Aaron at his shop all morning rectifying that problem. He was unaware that BMW had sized the left mirror boss smaller than the right. What moron at BMW thought that one up?

He put it on the drill press and sanded off the powdercoat and a few thousandths of the aluminum to get it fit perfectly. I have my Passport 8500 on the right and the GPS on the left. So far, it's working. He took pictures for his website of my install, so I'll post those later when he sends them to me.

I haven't decided if this is my permanent solution or not. I would really like to see what the guys at BMR Products come out with. Their CoPilot Shelf System for the LT was a PERFECT solution. And the guys who have the R1200RT version say it's good as well.

I like Genna's solution the best so far. I had already ordered Aaron's setup before I saw that one -- I guess that's the risk you take being first.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode