compare the s and gt please - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

compare the s and gt please

You know, after putting 300 miles on my new GT, I can't help but wonder if I should have given the S more consideration. Can someone with experience on both (jpalamaro, are you listening?) offer a brief comparison, particularly the ergos? I love the ride on the new gt but still struggle with the looks. My hunch is that I'd be less comfortable on the S, and therefore less happy. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 6:08 pm
Statmaster

I rode a friend's K1200S for about 200 miles last year. I loved it, but the riding position was just uncomfortable to me.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 6:15 pm

It all depends on what type of riding you do most, for touring and lots of stop and go the GT is a better mount but for carving canyons the S is better suited only if you are really aggressive IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 6:29 pm

Ergo's

anyone have clue if the adjustable handle bars on the GT will fit on S? being the same front end otherwise, I would presume one could just buy the whole contraption and put it on an S.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 10:39 pm

GT/S comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggitydogg
You know, after putting 300 miles on my new GT, I can't help but wonder if I should have given the S more consideration. Can someone with experience on both (jpalamaro, are you listening?) offer a brief comparison, particularly the ergos? I love the ride on the new gt but still struggle with the looks. My hunch is that I'd be less comfortable on the S, and therefore less happy. Thanks

Hey diggitydogg

I've got an 05 S (about 11K miles)and just got a GT (now about 1K miles). They are just completly different bikes. I'm going to do a more detailed comparison soon but there is no real answer to your question because it's relative to what you want and how you want to ride. For me, I have the S for my solo and spirited riding bike and the GT (which replaced an 1150 RT) for my 2-up/carry stuff bike. The S is mostly sport. The GT is either, but: The bars, even in the low position are 4" higher than the S. The GT bars are also even with the steering stem and the S's are an inch or two ahead. The footpegs are a bit more forward and perhaps a fraction lower. So, the GT, no matter which bar position is going to sit considerably more upright. The S...just more sportbike like position. The GT is a competent handler but it's additional weight and slightly higher cog slows it down some in the tight stuff. And, as you can guess, the power of the GT is more mellow than on the S. I have ridden the S for 400+ mile days in twisty stuff and I'm more tired than I am on the RT and will be on the GT. But, I have no problem with the S...it's a matter of degree.

Somebody once said the S is SPORTtouring and the GT is sportTOURING. For me, the GT reminds me more of an RT on steroids. I'm sure for long distance riding I'll look more toward it than the S...especially if much luggage is involved. And of course, if weather protection is an issue, the GT is better...but not as good as an RT.

I'm actually happy that the bikes are so different, even though I expected more similarities. The differences will make it easier for me to keep both. BUT, if I were to have only one, it would probably be the GT.

Hope this helps.

Doug
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 10:42 pm

bar adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdmd
anyone have clue if the adjustable handle bars on the GT will fit on S? being the same front end otherwise, I would presume one could just buy the whole contraption and put it on an S.
No, not without changing the tripple tree.

Doug
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 11:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
Hey diggitydogg

I've got an 05 S (about 11K miles)and just got a GT (now about 1K miles). They are just completly different bikes. I'm going to do a more detailed comparison soon but there is no real answer to your question because it's relative to what you want and how you want to ride. For me, I have the S for my solo and spirited riding bike and the GT (which replaced an 1150 RT) for my 2-up/carry stuff bike. The S is mostly sport. The GT is either, but: The bars, even in the low position are 4" higher than the S. The GT bars are also even with the steering stem and the S's are an inch or two ahead. The footpegs are a bit more forward and perhaps a fraction lower. So, the GT, no matter which bar position is going to sit considerably more upright. The S...just more sportbike like position. The GT is a competent handler but it's additional weight and slightly higher cog slows it down some in the tight stuff. And, as you can guess, the power of the GT is more mellow than on the S. I have ridden the S for 400+ mile days in twisty stuff and I'm more tired than I am on the RT and will be on the GT. But, I have no problem with the S...it's a matter of degree.

Somebody once said the S is SPORTtouring and the GT is sportTOURING. For me, the GT reminds me more of an RT on steroids. I'm sure for long distance riding I'll look more toward it than the S...especially if much luggage is involved. And of course, if weather protection is an issue, the GT is better...but not as good as an RT.

I'm actually happy that the bikes are so different, even though I expected more similarities. The differences will make it easier for me to keep both. BUT, if I were to have only one, it would probably be the GT.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Thanks Doug. That helps. Reality is, I was uncomfortable on the old GT. Getting an S would be even worse, I imagine, with the low handlebars. So far, the new GT is making me very happy. Appreciate the thoughtful response.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode