200 miles of discovering the GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 6:10 pm Thread Starter

200 miles of discovering the GT

I was suppose to break this baby on the hills of San Antonio but that was scrubbed due to my daugthers' unexpected academic award friday and sunday being mothers day, I decided to do the right thing and stayed locally.

Well here goes my opinion:

I am 5'-8", 180 lbs., 30" inseam, and 57 years of age and been riding since I was 16.
The ergonomics of the bike based on standard seat, tall windshield set at the lowest position and handlebar set at its highest positions is PERFECT for me.

The motor has a humming growl that rises as the RPM goes up, handling is similar if not identical to the K1200S. similar to a 996 except less effort during counter steering.

Electronic information brings this and other recent BMW to the 21st century, I like it a lot and at todays age it is expected.

Finish is excellent and I am glad they went back to the integrated fluid reservoir on the handle bars as oppose to the plastic transparent container that everybody seems to be using, as far as overall massing, I am hoping it will improve on subsequent itiration but for now it is acceptable.

A word of caution, the bike is top heavy especially when its full of gasoline so careful when you make a sudden stop on an awkward angle also the bags are large and kinda high for a short person thus you will keep hitting them with your foot as you mount and dismount untill you learn to raise your foot higher than you are used to.

I traded my R1150 RT for this GT and was concern about giving up a well proven mount that I truly enjoyed., thus far I have no regrets and unless you are a die hard boxer affectionado you will not miss the RT.
The GT has potential of becoming an excellent all around bike., This bike makes my K1200S redundant and perhaps a K1200R would be a better companion. (he he he)

Conclusion, I love this bike and I hope it continues to bring many miles of smile to my face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 6:43 pm

thanks

Excellent post. very useful. I am making my decision on ride reports, not speculation, so this is useful to me. thanks again .
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 6:51 pm

very excellent post
thanks for the effort and info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 6:58 pm
Statmaster

Thanks for the report. I fully expect you will head for 335, 336, and 337 very soon. Please let us know how it goes.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2006, 8:45 pm

K12GT Ride Report

Hi Rick,

So, you opted for the high road (family) versus the twisties & sweepers, eh? Good for you. Your Mom would be proud. Congrats to your daughter, too!

Nice report on the ride. I'll bet that baby just continues to grow on you as time and miles go by.

Travel safe!

JS
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2006, 11:38 am Thread Starter

Thanks ya'll. I am just returning some of the insights I took from this board.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode