Mich Pilot Road 4 vs Dunlop Roadsmart 3 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 2017, 3:49 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Mich Pilot Road 4 vs Dunlop Roadsmart 3

Mich Pilot Road 4 vs Dunlop Roadsmart 3

Is there a preference here?

I've been riding Mich since pilot 1s basically but now I read about these Dunlops and they are a bit cheaper price wise.

Any experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2017, 10:50 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Bueller? Bueller???
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2017, 12:02 pm
Noob

PR4's front and rear were replaced with Roadsmart3's about 1000 miles ago. I've been through 5 sets of PR4's and would typically get 5-6K miles out of the rear, 6-7K front. It's too soon to comment about wear, but I do note that the edges of the rear RS3 appear much more "scrubbed in" than on the PR4's. I don't think my riding style has changed, suggesting that the outermost rubber compound on the RS3 is considerably softer than on the PR4. I also note in higher speed sweepers that the RS3's seem to turn in a bit easier and allow me to change line easier as well. No wet riding experience yet. Overall, I'm pleased with the handling improvement. We'll see about the wear.

[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2017, 1:26 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks......I guess I'll also be a testbed for the Dunlops.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 2:59 pm
Noob

Dunlop is offering a 100.00 VISA gift card on a set of Roadsmart III'S purchased between 9/1/17 and 9/10/17. Limit two sets per address. These are widely available for just under 300.00 with free shipping. 200.00 for a set with the rebate? Hard to pass this one up.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2017, 4:09 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
I ran Pilot Sports PR3's on my RT and could get 14,000 miles on the front tire and 11,000 on the rear. I have PR4's on my K13GT now, which is new to me, so I will see how long these last.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2017, 8:10 am

I've run the Michelin front on my air cooled 1200 GS was a disaster zone, carcass too weak and the bike was nasty to ride. Kept feeling like the front was washing out, then ok then washing out all in the same bend. Better at speed, worse round town. Run at 2.7 bar it becomes normal but harsh over bad roads. The other strange thing was it was always lifting the real wheel under braking (a lot)

I ride very hard and weigh 240 pounds

I'd been running road smarts since they came out using a set of 1s (odd front, but much better than Bridgestone B23 that was dangerous and came off the bike in less than 200 miles - with similar handling issues to the PR4), a set of 2s and had got the new RS3 rear but they didn't have the front in stock (hence the Michelin). Swapped out for a Road Smart 3 and it transformed it back to normal. Much better ride comfort (able to run 2.1 to 2.3 bar on the front now), handling better, consistent feedback. They last forever, handle very well and have no issues with grip at all. And now I can brake and the rear stays on the ground. It doesn't make sense... but on the Michelin the rear was always 1 foot in the air waving about like a good un.

Just got a K1300GT and its running a brand new Mich PR4 and seems to suite the bike very well. I didn't know when I tested it but the tyre was brand new and still hairy but felt OK.

I'll see how I get on but I'd say Dunlop know how to make better bike tyres...

Last edited by botus; Nov 5th, 2017 at 8:35 am.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2017, 2:28 pm
Rookie

This may be of use . . . .

Link

D
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2017, 5:11 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Well after a 2 week 2,000 mile ride I can say with confidence that I absolutely hate the Dunlops. First day out they were edgy...meaning a little lean and whoop you are over fast. Also they grabbed every groove in the road, pulling me back and forth. Next was a high speed run which shook my bike like a paint shaker.
They slipped on slight turns.

Hate them. Going back to Michelins.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2017, 9:07 am
Noob

I'd definitely go and try the Dunlops!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode