2006 K1200GT (K44) Brake failure light flashing fast + Red Triangle light on. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2017, 6:21 am Thread Starter
Noob

Unhappy 2006 K1200GT (K44) Brake failure light flashing fast + Red Triangle light on.

Hi Folks
My 2006 K1200gt (K44) put on the above lights 2 days ago shortly after leaving my house with my wife to head out for a spin. The fault showed after I had to brake a bit harder than usual behind a truck. It is the model with servo brakes. This system was upgraded to iABS2 in August 2006.
I stopped and had a look to check level in reservoir etc. All OK. When i turned ignition off and then on again the fault had gone....till I braked again. We headed back home with the lights on and I put on the GS911 using my laptop without having stopped the motor for fear of losing any info by turning off ignition. I got fault 24971 showing as present ...pressure too high in front wheel circuit.
on checking the status readings I noted that the pressure in front wheel circuit was 77 bar while all other readings were ranging between 16 to 22 bar .... so clearly there must either be a physical valve stuck somewhere in the system or a faulty pressure sensor on the front wheel circuit. I last changed the brake fluid 2 seasons ago and due to work etc havent put many miles on the bike in the last six months. Has anyone had this fault show up and any help would be appreciated. I am using the latest version of software on my GS911. Thanks Folks
Henry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2018, 10:41 am
Noob

Hi.
I have the same problem, but in my case it shows " pressure too high in rear circuit".
when I press rear brake lever, it does not turn the abs servo's motor,and there's no rear brake at all (may be a little,when I push it so hard), but if I pull front lever I can hear whistle of servo's motor.
I spoke with befriended mechanic,and he said that it is very possible that somewhere in the system there is an air bubble, after someone incorrectly exchanged the fluid in the system. I bought the motorcycle in May this year, so I do not know the past fluid changes, and I have not done it myself (my mistake).
on Monday the mechanic will change the fluid, there is a chance that it will help, I hope. if it turns out that the pump is damaged, I will remove it and connect the brakes bypassing the abs pump.

Did you somehow deal with the problem?

k 1200 gt '06 with iABS (brake assist)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2018, 8:29 pm
Noob

I have the same issue with my 2006 K1200GT with 32,000 miles. I purchased this bike 10 days ago on eBay, flew down to Tampa (FL) to ride home back to Richmond, VA. The previous owner had a service done with 'all fluids' about 2 years ago and rode the bike only 600 miles since that service.

50 miles after leaving Tampa I had the Brake Failure fast flash with red triangle and noticeable lessening of brakes, front and rear. I stopped for a few minutes and when restarting the bike the fault had gone (reset itself?) and the brake were fine. This happened a few more times and I decided to have the bike towed to the nearest dealer in Jacksonville, FL. Before the tow truck arrived I connected my GS-911 and read two faults - high pressure in front circuit and another (can't remember, but seemingly unrelated).

The next morning I presented the bike to the dealer and they went thru the usual diagnostics and found all parameters within spec. Had some discussions with service mgr and decided to get back on the road back to Richmond (630 mi). For most of the following 400 miles I had the brake failure flashing and sometimes had normal brakes, sometimes less than normal. Every stop reset the faults, and they reappeared after 10-20 miles. The last 200 miles - no faults, brakes worked fine.

Today I took the bike out for a 20 mile ride and the flashing started after 10 miles. If I held the front brake lightly for more than a few seconds it went 'limp', lessened brakes. But if I tapped the foot brake, the front brake returned to normal. Hooked up my GS-911 and read a single fault - front circuit pressure too high.

I have learned that Module Masters in Iowa can now rebuild this servo ABS unit for $750 with a 5 (?) year warranty. They replace the servo motors with more reliable units. This is way better than buying a 'new' ABS unit from BMW for $2700 (plus labor to install, totaling nearly $4000) - INSANE! And this new unit contains the failure-prone servos.

But I also learned from my local BMW dealer service mgr that worn brake pads and/or low fluid will trigger these faults. So I need to look closely at my brake pads and check the fluid levels. The ABS unit actually has its own two reservoirs and the fluid from these connects to the front and rear brake calipers. The front and rear master reservoirs only send fluid to the ABS unit. So there are actually 4 reservoirs, and 4 circuits.

That's all I know at this point. But I like this bike very much and plan to solve this problem even if Module Masters is in my future.

Stuart

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode