ECU upgrade 210 K1300GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2017, 11:33 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
ECU upgrade 210 K1300GT

Hello, has anyone done any kind of ECU upgrade to their K1300GT bikes? If so what were the results in terms of horsepower and torque numbers? Has it affected the fuel consumption at all? Any problems with the idle? Which company did the upgrade? I don't take my bike to the race track, neither do I do canyon carving. Due to the fact that I have add-on improvements (akrapovic pipe, K&N air filter), it's running lean, has lost a lot of power low to mid range, and gained a lot of top end power. The bikes has always been maintained at a BMW dealer and is in perfect conditions. Even the BMW mechanic recommended to get the upgrade which surprised me. Unfortunately they don't offer any other than the stock program.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2017, 8:42 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
power commander
they do not list one for the k12/13GT but do for the S and it works on the GT and R too

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2017, 10:46 am Thread Starter
Noob

Garage
Do you have one installed on your bike? If so, what were the gains that you noticed in terms of torque, horsepower and fuel economy? Are there any downsides to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2017, 9:00 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Sorry for the length of time for a reply.
mpg about the same
main thing was to get rid of bogging/flat spot at 2800 to 3200 rpm. it was a hey engine room I need full power
and the reply was we still need to fire up the boiler.
Now it responds like it should, plus shimmed out the throttle restrictor solenoid so 1st and 2nd gear will now get full throttle.

'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2017, 11:41 pm
Rookie

aj, did you use the PC5 Auto Tune, or have a shop do a custom tune on the dyno for you?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2017, 10:37 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
auto tune

'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2018, 1:47 pm

watching this guy do his own software update on a K1300S with readily available copies of the dealer tool - he's taking the bike from original software version Feb 2009 to Feb 2014

On his K1300S I note, his bike doesn't have ABS and he mentions he's really trying to update the engine software from the old map that's a bit rough to a newer version which he does successfully - he was on the old 2009 (European spec) part number for the engine map 7722977 and by 2014 there was a later better version 8522590

Not sure what you guys in the states know about BMs, but they hate to improve vehicles (only wanting to sell you a new one) and will swear there is no way to update cars or bikes. Its all a lie and with BM its really simple being a one stop shop, you just plug it in update the whole vehicle in one go.... 17 minutes plus fiddling at start and finish...

Anyway, my K1300GT was allegedly updated this year when I bought it as they added the original alarm module so had to code it to the bike when they sold to me as an approved used vehicle. I have paper work showing my I level is K24 17-07-500. K44 bikes use K24 software, the code means it was updated using a July 2017 software release.

the point is my mate has the same bike and his was properly updated and his engine map shows the part number from an I level update in June 2014 being 08522505 whereas mine is 07722566

which I suspect means my 2010 bike is on its original and not so good map, which it shouldn't be !

I also want to know how to programme the cruise control so I can set at a slower speed, it only sets from 33mph whereas later bikes (current GS LC range) can set at anything from 8mph upwards. With speed bumps and 20 mph speed limits it would be good to be able to start from at least 20mph - anyone here done this?
lhendrick likes this.

Last edited by botus; Jan 14th, 2018 at 1:59 pm.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2018, 8:17 am
Addict

Botus:

I've been experimenting with similar BMW update software on my E46 car, since I am in the process of replacing a faulty ABS module and will need to recode a replacement unit to my car.

Interesting that this can be done with the KGT too. Last year I installed a replacement, used, ZFE module to fix an ESA error. This worked fine, and everything is working, but when I run my GS911 diagnostics I see that the level on the replacement ZFE differs slightly from the factory installed level and always wanted to correct that.

If I ever get the time, I may try to get the BMW software working for my KGT, but i suspect the gains won't be worth the effort.

My thinking is that unless we can "persuade" a BMW technician to go rogue and help with using the BMW software (anonymously) we will be stumbling around for a long time.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2018, 4:29 pm

the BMW software for the cars and bikes is exactly the same. Its all over the internet and readily downloadable

if you have the round diagnostic cable and a good OBD11 Adaptor and an android phone you can see what's going on with the bike free here:

https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

or pay and get some basic coding done (TPMS replacement) for much less than a GS 911

ABS errors are intentionally designed in faults...

lots of videos how to fix yourself. Early days (cars or bikes) it was the wires from the mutliplug to the circuit board, you re do with a paper clip and now with the ESP motor to build pressure BM set the brush guides too tight so by 5 to 7 years enough gunk has built up to make them stick. Where its fitted on the K1300GT one could just drill a hole and squirt in contact cleaner...
or pull apart and do it properly

Last edited by botus; Jan 15th, 2018 at 4:34 pm.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2018, 3:39 pm
Noob

Joining in a bit late to this thread...

My 2009 K13GT has terrible hesitation on hard acceleration. I've improved it quite a lot with mixture enrichment using an AF XIED device, but when I add enough fuel to improve the hesitation I significantly reduce fuel economy, suggesting it's a bit too rich on cruise. (It's had enough time for the BMW computer to adjust it's long term settings)

Should I:
a) Go to a dealer and try to persuade them to update the fuel map to a more recent one? (I don't know what I have).
b) Find some software to do that myself? I don't have an android phone, so what's available? Do I need GS911?
c) Forget about the BMW map and get a power commander.
d) Somthing else?

What do you guys recommend?
Thanks!
Doug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode