I'm still confused - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

I'm still confused

I've seen the new K1200GT and I like what I see. What I don't understand is why the GT is $8000 more expensive than the FJR1300. I really want the BMW but I am still having a hard time with the price difference. What makes this so much better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 6:33 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartz
I really want the BMW but I am still having a hard time with the price difference. What makes this so much better?
It's so much better simply BECAUSE it costs more.

It's a lot like H-D in that regard :wtf

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 6:57 pm
Noob

Confused? I'm not!

If you are doing a cost vs. benefits comparison for your next bike, you're probably the type of guy buying a Toyota Corola and shopping at Sears or WalMart!
->Don't misunderstand me, there is nothing wrong with that

I buy BMWs because after 29 years of riding on all types of bikes, I never had to call road side assistance in the middle of nowhere; because when I had unexpected problems way after the end of warranty, my dealers managed to find a way to fix the problem at no cost to me; because despite some deficiencies, they have demonstrated higher trade-in or reselling value.

My first (and last) Yamaha had many problems during our two years of life together; so many that I sent an official complaint to the HQ. Their official reply was to blame the dealer and notify me that they were not going to accept any liability on a clutch (replaced twice in two years, how's that?).
Safe ride,
--JM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 8:52 pm

Quote:
I've seen the new K1200GT and I like what I see. What I don't understand is why the GT is $8000 more expensive than the FJR1300. I really want the BMW but I am still having a hard time with the price difference. What makes this so much better?
Went through the same issues... Why does a Porsche 911 cost significantly more than a Corvette when the Corvette has just as good if not better numbers on paper? Ultimately, its about getting what you want

Some of the real differences are ESA, real cruise control, heated seats and enough spare alternator capacity to run a small trailer. And, I think, a better motor and brakes, but that's just an opinion. Worth $8K ?? Probably not - but like I said, sometimes its not all about the money.

IBA 18417
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 9:38 pm

again???

Quote:
Aren't you the one that asked that same question several weeks ago???

Doug
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 9:45 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone

Doug
:troll

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 11:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone

Doug

Yes I am. I'm trying to understand the difference, but so far nobody has convinced me.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2006, 11:42 pm

If someone has to convince you of the "why" of buying the BMW, then don't do it. Either its in your heart or its not.

I was at a local dealer today and someone had just traded in a late model FJR1300 Yamaha. It was blue, just like my K12GT. I sat on it just to see what it was like. I have heard so many Yamaha fans talk about how the FJR was such a great bike and all.

As I sat on it something just wasn't right, then it dawned on me. We don't really need motorcycles, they are an emotional thing. I thought of the few things on my K12GT that might need a little improving and they seems so petty. I thought of the things that the FJR might do a little better than my K12GT and they seemed unimportant.

My BMW has soul and I feel connected to it. Its an emotional thing, just like those Harley guys talk about. I guess you just have to look past the price and decide what your heart wants. If it is a bike with the best set of "numbers" then go with the Jap bike. But if your heart connects with the BMW forget the price as there is no logic that can ever justify spending that much money on a motorcycle like that. Either you love and want it or you don't.

I would never try to talk anyone into buying any kind of motorcycle. I can tell you what I like about different ones or I can quote numbers, but passion has no logic. Too me my K12GT was a dream I had for a long time. Before I died I wanted to own a new one, one all my own. Other bikes were nice but they were just not "the one". I love its looks, it feel, its sound. I know the people who designed and built it had passion too, I see their handiwork in it.

If someone has to talk you into it, go buy an FJR and enjoy it, they are a great bike. A local dealer has a good deal on a used one that looks good.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2006, 12:08 am
Addict

Quote:
Yes I am. I'm trying to understand the difference, but so far nobody has convinced me.
well if you don't feel it nobody will. get the fjr and be happy with it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2006, 12:33 am
Telepathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doru-in-Romania
well if you don't feel it nobody will. get the fjr and be happy with it.
+1.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode