Clutch Slipping - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2017, 7:56 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Clutch Slipping

Riding my 2010 K1300GT the other day, on a motorway, suddenly I opened the throttle rapidly. The RPM rose quickly and then seemed to fall as the bike caught up with it.

I tested it a few times in 6th gear to the find the same thing happening.

I cant say it is happening in lower gears. It (seems) to pull ok generally, but I rode straight home, put it in the garage, and that is where she has sat for the past 2 days.

On first guess I would assume the clutch is slipping.

NOW! I changed the oil...about 700 miles ago. The bike currently has 35,800 miles on the clock. I used Westway Lubricants Fully Synthetic 5W/40 5W40 Motorcycle Oil 4 Stroke JASO MA2 5W-40 API SL. According to the manufacturer it is fully compatible with Wet Clutches and is a direct replacement for the recommended CASTROL POWER 1 RACING 4T 5W-40 but 1/3 of the price.

I'm guessing a clutch. Is there any way to test if it could be down to the oil instead? Is there any value in dropping the oil and putting in Castrol?

I'll try and get out for a bit of a test ride on the weekend to see if it still occurs, if there is any clutch smell, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2017, 12:22 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
An update...
Clutch has become unusable; slips badly in first gear now.

I spoke to my local bmw who suggested it is likely the oil. He suggested i change the oil twice and leave the bike draining for a few days each time.

I am waiting for the recommended bmw advantec ultimate oil to arrive and the fun begins.

Saving £30 On an oil change by buy-in n westway lubricants oil has cost me over £100 in two oil changes. Lesson: get the right oil!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode