New Gt ride report - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2006, 8:32 pm Thread Starter
elr

New Gt ride report

Picked up my new GT wed the 10th. Graphite Metallic, I ordered it just after seeing one at daytona. I have been riding electra glide's for the past 10 years so it is a big change for me and one that I wish I had of made long ago.
My first ride was about 75 mile's. I was amazed at how much power the bike had and how smooth it rode. My only complaint that first ride was I didn't have more time and the seat got very uncomfortable, I was a little sore the next day.
Fri. after I picked it up I rode to lake lure, N.C. then to the blue ridge parkway on near Asheville. I was very pleased with how it handled. After throwing around a big harley, The bike seemed to go thru turns by itself, I just had to sit and enjoy it. Went up the parkway to Mount Mitchell. It was 35 deg. at the parking area there. I liked the idea of heating grips, but thought that heated seats on a bike was a waste. OK I was wrong. The seat seemed to help keep my whole body warm. The windshield did a good job of keeping the wind off me except for my upper arms. It really could be a couple inches wider for me. I am 6" so a little taller would be nice but for me the width would help more. From Mount Mitchell I rode the parkway into Blowing rock. The bike didn't care what gear I was in. I rode some in fourth, some in fifth, and some in sixth. It is a 45 mph speed limit most of the way, and what ever gear I was in I could do the speed limit, (over most of the time) have plenty of engine braking, and all the power in the world when I rolled on the throttle. Then took 221 from blowing rock back home. Coming home I rode from the speed limit to felony speeds. The bike doesn't care just so its going . I am not sure what the difference was but the seat was very comfortable all day. 280 miles and couldn't find anything that I didn't like about the bike.
Rode sun for a while. The more I ride it the more I wonder why I didn't own a bmw motorcycle years ago. I have had bmw cars since the early 80's.
Had the first service done tue.s with 643 miles on it. Coming home I found the first thing I don't like about it. It is hard to ride at 5 to 10 mph. Coming down I-85 south, I was caught up in road construction. traffic would move 100 ft and stop. never moving at more than a snails pace. At those speeds the throttle is very touchy, I tried to just let it idle and that didn't seem to work to good either so ended up having to slip the clutch a lot and trying to keep it as smooth as I could. This could just be me not used to a bike with this much power, and it isn't something that I will do very often or at least I hope I don't. I just found for me, at these speeds it was very hard to control my speed and to keep things smooth.
I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! I am sure as time goes there will be things that I want to add or maybe change some. I am heading for the dragon on the 24th of this month. I can't wait to see how the bike performs there. I really think it will put the dragons tail between its legs.lmao One question if anyone knows, how do you slow this things down to the speed limit.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ride Safe, Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2006, 11:01 pm
Veteran

Ok Ed, I'm drooling.

Thanks for the impressions. I become more insanely impatient everyday.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 3:33 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
Ok Ed, I'm drooling.

Thanks for the impressions. I become more insanely impatient everyday.

just wait and see after you will have it. never had a woman so addictive as this bike is, feel like riding it all day long. had lots of both.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 5:07 am

Smile

Hi Ed,

Congratulations on the GT. I can echo everything you said. The low speed snatching is a problem, isn't it. On the bright side, it was the same when the K1200S came out and they fixed it later with a fueling/mapping upgrade. So many people have identified this so I am sure there will be a fix soon. The best way around it for now is not to go slow The bike really doesn't seem to care which gear it's in, does it? The power/torque is spot on. I needed the gear indicator just to make sure I didn't stop in 6th gear. What a bike! I'm sure you will like it even more with a few thousand miles under the belt. By all accounts everything smooths out and just gets better.

Have fun,

Brian
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 5:11 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doru-in-Romania
just wait and see after you will have it. never had a woman so addictive as this bike is, feel like riding it all day long. had lots of both.

That's the trick isn't it? Having lots of BOTH!!

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode