New G/T vs 04G/T - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

New G/T vs 04G/T

I was wondering if somebody would do a compare and contrast on the new G/T vs the 04 version. Iam looking into both.TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 12:56 pm

I've owned both, and I prefer my new GT for the following reasons:

1. It's much more comfortable. The handlebars come up higher and further back, requiring less lean. And the handlebars can be lowered if you prefer a sportier ride. I had barbacks on the 04, which did the job but didn't allow for on-the-fly adjustments. The bike itself is much narrower, allowing me hug the tank with my legs to help steer. The old GT was wider and the seat flared out in the front, so my legs never touched the tank.

2. It handles better. I've never been so confident entering into turns. Like night and day.

3. It's more convenient. There's a storage compartment up front with enough space for sunglasses, a cell phone, a rag and it's easily accessed at a stop light. The side cases are much easier to use, and there are two full-size cases. On the 04, one of the cases is reduced in size to accommodate the muffler.

4. It has more gizmos, if you're into that sort of thing. Electronic Suspension Adjustment. On Board Computer with digital displays. And so forth.

5. The mirrors are better. Vibration free, and perfect rear view. I had swapped out the mirrors on my GT with those from an RS, which are bigger and wider, but they did vibrate a bit at certain speeds.

Here's what I miss about my 04 GT:

1. The swooping lines that made it look more like a sport bike, particularly when riding bagless. The new GT looks a bit stiff by comparison. For me, the performance gains outweigh the aesthetic hit I wouldn't go back to an 04, that's for sure. But that's a personal call.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 1:05 pm

Red face

Sorry, but there is no comparison. I tested an 04 GT before I bought my K12RS, which is a similar bike but a bit sportier. The 04 GT was a good bike but didn't have enough ground clearance for us (2 up with luggage most of the time). We had the RS untill last week and we loved it. Good ergo's smooth power, great handling (with Ohlins). All in all a fantastic bike, and I'm sure the 04 GT would have been the same. As for comparison with the 06 GT (which we have now), the 06 is so far ahead in EVERYTHING you just can't compare. If you have the cash, get the 06, if you don't have the cash, DON'T test ride the 06. It would be like testing a Ferrarri and then buying a Mini. The 04 GT is a good bike and you would enjoy it, but the 06 is a GREAT bike.

Sorry again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 1:22 pm

I will agree in total with Diggitydogg. I had an '03 that I put 76k miles on, I absolutely loved the bike, I didn't have one single complaint about it, I had put bar risers and peg lowers on, but the bike was just plain fantastic. Prior to actually signing on the dotted line for the new one, I went back and forth as to giving up something that I was completely happy with.......well, a thousand miles later on the new GT all I can say is WOW! This bike has it all and more.

I would say the single thing that stands out the most is the ease at which it can be 'flicked' for a bike that weighs what it does. I knew my '03 GT was slightly heavy handed going into the corners, but tracked better than ANY bike I have every been on, but after riding the new one, I'll bet it would feel like a Mac truck. Anyways, you can't go wrong with either bike, but the new one, WOW!

Last edited by BigDave; May 18th, 2006 at 3:13 pm.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 1:53 pm

Silly me, I left out the biggest difference between the 04 and the 06 -- the pricetag! I sold my 04 for about 12000. The new one set me back nearly 21000 including alarm plus tax. If that scares you -- and its certainly justifiable if it does -- then don't even try the 06. Get an 04 and you'll never know what you missed.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 2:52 pm
Addict

I'm reading this whilst rolling several hundred nickels in to bank acceptable portions. I'll get the next iteration when I can pay cash. Until then, the 04 I got from elvis seems to be carrying me just fine. I'm gonna ride this bike for about 20,000 miles then trade up. I should have enough nickels by then.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 3:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipenslippers
If you have the cash, get the 06, if you don't have the cash, DON'T test ride the 06. It would be like testing a Ferrarri and then buying a Mini.
Gee, I guess I should roll my bike out into the driveway and set it ablaze. Really a shame, seeing how I enjoyed it up until now.

Rusty
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 3:57 pm

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC
Gee, I guess I should roll my bike out into the driveway and set it ablaze. Really a shame, seeing how I enjoyed it up until now.

Rusty
Sorry Rusty, I don't mean to run down the previous models. I had my RS for a couple of years and it was the best bike ever. But in all fairness, things move on. Everything about the new GT is a generation ahead of the old GT. That doesn't make the old GT bad, but in this case, it does make the new GT better. What I meant was don't test the new one if you know you won't buy it because it might spoil your enjoyment of the old one.

I hope I haven't ruffled any other feathers here. The best bike is the one you love the most.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 5:46 pm

You should be able to get some real buys on "03 & '04 GT's now, because guys like me are trading them in.

I really liked my '04 GT, except for one problem. The ergos just didn't fit me well, I got severe neck pain when I rode it. That's probably my problem, not the GT, but it prompted me to consider the new GT. When I heard that it had an upright seating position, I took a chance and dropped down a deposit way back in December. Even after riding the pre-production '06 GT during bike week, I still had deep reservations about trading in my '04 GT. Except for the neck pain problem, I loved it. It was comfortable, plenty fast enough for me, and good looking.

I agree with all the things the others here have posted about how much better the new '06 GT is compared to my '04, but you could pick up an '03 or '04 GT for almost half the money of the new GT, and most of those used bikes still have factory warranty left. The old GT was nearly as fast as the Honda ST1300, and was a far better bike than the ST1300 in my opinion. So, it's not like you'd be taking a very big step back if you bought one. It's still a hundred forty MPH machine, and there's very few places that you can go faster than that on public roads!

If your budget permits, ride both and see if the new one is worth the money to you. If money is an issue, buy an '03 or '04 and enjoy the heck out of it! Either way, you can't go wrong.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 9:55 pm
Enthusiast

FYI, the mirrors on the new GT vibrate pretty good above 90.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode