Perhaps Others May Benefit From My Breakdown - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 4:28 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Perhaps Others May Benefit From My Breakdown

Could not have broken down in a worse place. Merging on to a major highway [traffic raging by at 70 mph plus] with construction going on the clutch decided to let go. Engine ok, clutch disengaged or barely engaging. Pulled on the shoulder, luckily hardtop, and set bike. Hmmmmm . . . could be that the clutch reservoir low; call up BMW Daytona and the service techs try to talk me thru it, but then again, who the hell carries MINERAL OIL (as in lubricant/laxative) in their saddlebag? I decide NOT to pull the reservoir cover, although I suspect that it is indeed low.

Some initial suspicions. When I [first] picked up the bike and it was driven on to trailer after 10 mile test ride, thereís a SINGLE TUBE about in the middle of the bike, aligned with the shift lever. This neoprene tube leaked a few drops of some fluid . . . perhaps brake fluid, NOT engine oil. I called up the service tach and got the usual gobbledlygook about pressure in the ABS pump, blah balh, probably had a few drops in the line. Well, clutch not engaged and this same tube is leaking fluid; a few drops of a light amber fluid. Service tech once again asserts itís the ABS pump which has nothing to do with clutch not engaging. Hmmmm . . . CIA doesnít believe in coincidences and neither do I

Am only writing this up in the event anyone sees some fluid coming out of their respective tube. Off to Daytona tomorrow, trailering the bike. Yechhhh . . . at least I have others to ride.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 5:21 pm

John,

Sorry to hear about your trouble, but You may have indeed have helped me! I had some shifting problems yesterday while I was taking my bike to the dealer, that acted like the clutch wasn't engaging when rapidly downshifting. I thought I was just being clumsy, and maybe I was, but ...

It's at the dealer now, getting 600 mile service, I'll call them in the morning and have then check my clutch stuff over good.

Thanks for the heads up.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 6:31 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

I had some shifting problems earlier in my ride. HAVE THEM CHECK IT CLOSELY RUBEN. btw, even with my 12S shifting crisply I never had any false neutrals except once, and my wimpy shift caused it. Today, and you reminded me, I couldn't find a gear????? There is a tube in center of bike oozing a few drops of light-amber fluid.

Good luck . . . I was going in for my 300-700 service Saturday, guess it's going in early.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2006, 9:51 pm
Enthusiast

John, sorry to hear about your problems. Trade her in on the FJR1300A!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 7:55 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Happy Ending Others Need Not Be Concerned

Seems that BMW (factory) dropped a plastic sleeve of some sort into the clutch reservoir. When engaging/disengaging the clutch the hydraulic fluid (ehhhh....mineral oil) drains thru an aperture and voila . . . clutch engages. Should said hole be blocked . . . well, then of course clutch does not engage.

I DON'T EXPECT THAT THIS IS A DESIGN OR COMMON ISSUE BUT RATHER AN ISOLATED INCIDENT.

Lots of credit to BMW Daytona. They took me in and I was full well expecting to leave the bike. Also, they contacted BMW Motorrad/dealer representative BMW authorized the 600 mile service at no charge (presume dealer got warranty reimbursement) but still, they took the trouble to call.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 9:05 pm

Hmmm...that seems very strange. Wouldn't the dealer be the one that actually filled the cluster lines as part of the initial setup?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 9:09 pm

Good deal John, glad you got it fixed so quickly. I took mine for a short hundred mile ride this evening, no further issues either. If all goes well, I'll have nearly two thousand miles on mine by the time the weekend is over, should be a nice shakedown cruise, if my butt can handle it!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2006, 9:15 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Interesing question, which I did not bother asking at the time. A. Either they come 'pre-charged' from the factory. B. The reservoir is indeed the black hole of Calcutta and foreign object easily be not seen. C. Is not a good alternative.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode