Fuel smell and fuel line disconnect - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By subforry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2018, 1:32 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Fuel smell and fuel line disconnect

Hi all,

If you bike is smelling like fuel then check the high pressure disconnect at the tank. My K1300GT was spraying fuel. You need to check with the bike running. The teflon paste has deteriorated and was allowing fuel to leak past the female connector on the tank.

Here are some tips. You might be able to just tighten the connector, but be warned everything is plastic. Do not tighten more than 1/8 to 1/4 turn past finger tight. I broke mine trying to tighten it. Seem like some people have had luck with using basic pluming teflon tape. There are other stories of the plastic male end failing.

If broken the options are a new fuel pump or this item from Beemer Boneyard, which is very nice - no plastic.
https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdisconk12s.html

Like I said, if you smell fuel then check this connector.
lhendrick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2018, 8:46 am
Noob

This is different than the recall???
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2018, 9:55 am
Enthusiast

Garage
The recall is for the fuel pump flange. If it is not cracked, there is a collar the dealer puts on the flange. If it is cracked, they replace the fuel pump with the same quick disconnects.

2009 K1300 GT
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2005 R1200 RT - gone
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2018, 3:06 pm
Noob

More info on changing fuel connector

Thank you subforry for the heads up on the Beember Boneyard brass fuel quick disconnect. I did the same job on my '05 LT when the OEM plastic one failed also.

Just a bit of warning when changing out the female half of the connector, the one mounted in the pump flange. The Teflon paste seemed a bit crumbly when I tried to clean it out of the flange threads. I used a syringe to suck some gas out of what I thought was the hose inside the tank feeding that connector to see if any Teflon had fallen inside. Sure enough, not only did I see little bits of Teflon floating in the extracted fuel (just the right size to clog injectors), but I must have taken 50ml out of that cavity. I ended up purging and refilling that cavity a few times before I quit seeing floating Teflon in the syringe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode